- CHAPTER 17 -

- G E T O U T -
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Hamish
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I'd been lying on the floor for half an hour. I was surrounded by tears which had fallen off my cheeks. My face was tight with the tears that had dried and I could feel how swollen my eyes were - even blinking felt strange.

You deserve this. You deserve it all.

I was never going to hit her. I was about to run my hand through my hair. I guess thinking about everything, I can understand why she'd think like that. I just can't bear knowing that she saw me as him.

I felt a ticklish sensation on my foot and quickly looked down to see Noodle nuzzling against my toes. I forced out a laugh as I reached down to pick her up. She licked my face, tilting her head to the side in adorable confusion.

"Let's let you out then, shall we?" I mumbled to myself, taking her outside to the garden.

Watching Noodle potter around the garden, I felt the first few drops of rain land on my skin. It wasn't long before it was bucketing down. Noodle had run inside through the open door but I was stuck outside, my eyes caught by the empty swings gently rocking in the wind. Ollie was so frustrated when I first set them up because she couldn't swing herself. We'd practice every single day until she could swing all by herself.

I'd have given anything to just go back to the moments before she could do it herself. I'd push her high into the sky, her laughs of joy ringing out above the clouds. I used to tickle her sides as she came to a stop before running away as her little legs tried to run after me.

My thoughts were broken by a sneeze and I suddenly realised it was pitch black outside; the only light coming from the house. Taking a deep breath, I trudged back into the house to take a shower, hoping I wouldn't catch a cold from standing in the rain for so long.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I barely slept a wink; tossing and turning all night long as I thought about the sorts of nightmares that my little sister was having. I was abruptly woken up from my minuscule amount of sleep by heavy banging at the door. I blindly tripped out of bed and stumbled down the stairs.

"All right, all right - I'm coming!" I called out, willing the incessant noise to stop.

My jaw was immediately met by a sharp punch as I opened the door and I fell down in surprise, looking up to see a very angry Drew.

I didn't say anything in return - I deserved that.

"That was for my little Squeak." He spoke with conviction before softening his features and offering his hand down to me, pulling me in to a tight hug.

"I know you didn't move to hit her, Hamish -" He said "-but how dare you scream at her and believe your so-called girlfriend over your own flesh and blood?!" He harshly pulled back from the hug, gripping onto my arms and staring intensely into my eyes. I hung my head in shame, feeling a tear slide down my cheek.

"B-but why would Talulah do that?" I stuttered, barely above a whisper.

"I can't answer that, Buddy - you're going to have to ask her for yourself. Look, I pulled some strings with the chief and you can take today to sort this all out." He sighed.

"Thanks, Drew. You're a really good friend." I said sincerely, proud of myself that I managed to find such a great friend.

"The best." He winked "Now come here." He grinned, pulling me in for another hug. He patted me on the shoulder before turning to leave.