Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 33

Jane returned, blissfully. No one seemed to notice her disappearance and if they did, they didn’t mention it. As soon as she arrived, she got back in to her regular routine. Talking about her trip was definitely out of the question, but seeing her expression gave me all the answers I needed.

When I asked her about the engagement party, she looked shocked. It amazed my tutor that I wasn’t already fully informed. None the less, she told me all I need to know.

The day of the engagement party came sooner than I hoped. I was not mentally prepared for it all. Jane had me wear a drop-dead gorgeous blue dress with a fur cape. The woman moved at a quick pace, fitting me in well and fixing tiny imperfections. Suddenly, she slowed down and grew stiff.

“Is everything alright?” I asked curiously.

The old woman looked at me. Her worn out eyes filled with alertness.

“I forgot,” she stated simply.

“What do you mean?”

“I forgot to tell you,” She said slowly, unsure of herself. I waited as she thought it over. “This is the first time you will be addressing the king and queen.”

I smiled, “Do not fret. I’ve met them before at the-”

“The ball. Yes, I know,” Jane cut me off, “But that was not official. The party is filled with important people from all over, not just peasant girls hoping to snatch up a prince.”

My smile wavered but I did not drop it.

Without warning, the woman took my hands. “You must be careful.”

“I will,” I foolishly said, not knowing the dangers of the upper class.

She only shook her head and began her lecture, “Do not speak unless spoken to. Do not say more than you should. Don’t say anything that you will regret. Get on their good side.”

I open my mouth to speak but she cuts me off, “At first, it’s your Royal Highness. After that it is sir or ma’am. Did you get that?”

I nodded wearily.

She went on about posture and bowing. Afterwards she warned of the officials and royals I should have to look out for. They would only cause me more trouble and I was in a difficult situation already.

In the midst of her speech, there was knock on the door. Her dress twirls as she turns to see the guest that will enter the room. Charles enters and bows.

“It’s time.”

My stomach twists into knots. So soon? I take a glance at Jane, as if asking for her permission. She takes no notice and only fumbles with her fingers. It made me uneasy.

I nod at Charles and stepped off the pedestal. Before I got to the butler, Jane somehow come out of her daze and grabs my hand. She gave it a tight squeeze and let me go. Instead of reassuring me, it made me even more nervous, for reasons I did not know of. Charles lifts his elbow as I place my arm in the crook of his arm. Together, we left Jane and walked down the hall.

Charles was strangely quiet.  I kept stealing sideways glances at him. He stared straight ahead and didn’t utter a single word to me.

“I’m nervous,” I said finally, breaking the ice.

He looks at me expressionless, “Why?

“I’m not sure. Everyone is making a big deal out of this,” I said truthfully.

“That’s because it’s a big deal.”

“I know.”

“You don’t seem sure about that.”