Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 32

*** IMPORTANT *** I can finish the story soon, like this chapter or the next chapter. It would dramatically change the story I originally intended to write, but I would then be able to focus on my other story. Or I could write my original content and finish this story up. There is another event that’s supposed to happen but I can cut it out. It’s your choice. Please comment and let me know what you want.

The bright leaves fell from the trees. The brilliant colors of red, orange and yellow against the blue sky, drifted toward the ground. I watched them from my chambers as they fell to the ground and slowly cover the ground like a fire consuming the world, leaving no spot uncovered, burning everything. Soon, there was nothing left and white ashes fell from the sky, too hot to touch. With the fire gone, the cold empty feeling occupied the space.

I scooped up a handful of the white ashes. They burned my skin, making my hand numb. I let the ashes slip past my fingers and back on the ground. My hand was bright red. I made a fist, pain spread my body.

“Lady Diane!”

I turned to find Jane, my tutor, calling me. She waved to me, motioning for me to come closer. With her other hand, she tightened the shawl around her shoulders. Unwillingly, I came to her, slowly.

“Diane!” Jane hissed at me, “Its cold out, you will get sick! Come inside.”

Jane placed her hand on my back, gently took my hand and guided me inside.

“Dear god! Your skin is as cold as ice! Master Dylan will be terribly unpleased if finds out I haven’t been taking good care of you.”

A lazy smile spreads across my face, “I must disagree for you have been taking excellent care of me and for that I must give you a thousand thanks.”

“Then how do you still keep getting in trouble? Save your thanks to one who deserves them.”

I laugh at her and place my hand upon hers. Jane tries to cover it up but I feel her shivering. She shakes off my hand and takes me back to my chambers.

“I do not wish to find you playing outside again,” Jane said through her teeth as she started taking off my clothes.

“I wasn’t playing,” I emphasized, “I was observing.”

“Observing how fast you can get ill that is,” She answered. Jane dragged me to the tub which was already filled with hot water and pushed me in. “Time for your hot bath,” She smirked as she pushed my head under the soapy water.

Afterwards, to my surprise and pleasure, Jane brought me a simper dress to wear. It was very comfortable and resembled some of the maid’s outfits but it was more grand.

“Why the sudden change of style?” I inquired.

She didn’t reply until she was done typing my laces. “You’ll see,” she replied with a smile.

With a bigger hurry, Jane takes me downstairs to the large kitchen.

I catch my breath. Everyone there looks at us. No one seemed in a hurry for the king and queen, were out of the castle. No need for the rush.

Jane turned to me and sighed, “Diane, please do me a favor.” I slowly nodded, not understanding. She looked at the servants nervously. They all nodded eagerly. They seemed to be supporting what she had planned. “Please stay with the kitchen crew for a couple days.” I frowned.

“What’s going on?”

“My lady, my husband is coming back for a few days and I do not have time off in a while. Please, I need to see him. I have not seen him in over year!”

She held such a pained expression.

“Of course,” I agreed.

“You must stay in the kitchen at all times. No must know I’m gone, especially that I’m not watching at you.”

I nodded hastily. Then I kissed her on the forehead. “Perhaps you should leave now.”

Jane looked at wearily, her eyes filled with hope. Wordlessly, she turned around. A servant handed her a bag. She took it and hurried out the kitchen door that led her outside.

“Goodbye darlings!” She yelled out. The servants gathered around the door and waved. I stood back a few steps. I never realized that the old woman had a lover. Just by the look in her eyes, I knew she missed him.

As the servants scattered and returned to their work, I sat down near the wall. My stomach tightened. That feeling of love frightened me. I did not want to be so deep in love like she was. To be so caught up with an emotion; will I ever be like that?

After a while, I realized I hadn’t seen Dylan in a while. Just as the thought crossed my mind, the door to the courtyard flew open. The cold air whipped everyone in the warm kitchen. Dylan flew in breathlessly. He whipped off his hat, revealing a nest of hair. Under his eyes were dark circles.

For a few moments he didn’t say anything. Everyone held their breath as he opened his mouth, “Man, I’m hungry.”

The chef ran up to him, handing him bread, cheese, apples and pastries. Dylan sat down at the table, soon surrounded by different types of meat.

For five full minutes, he ate. I went up to him.

“Where have you been?” I whispered softly.

He looked up in surprise and swallowed. He quickly wiped off his mouth and fixed his messy hair. Dylan cleared his throat, “Oh Diane! What are you doing here? You are a sight for sore eyes.” He brushed off any crumbs off his chest and took off his coat. As soon as it left his shoulders, a servant took it from him.

I folded my arms and narrowed his eyes.

“I was out for urgent business not far from here,” he said a little nervous, “And I was seeing an old friend, I invited him to our engagement party.”

I smiled, please with the answer. “Why are you so nervous?”

He gave me a small smile, “I wasn’t suppose to leave the castle until the party.”

“The king isn’t here.”

He looked guilty, “I forgot about that.”

“Why do you look so tired?”

“Why so many questions?” He chuckled, “I had a lot to do and I wanted to be back as soon as possible.”

I opened my mouth then thought better of it. After a moment of hesitation, I said it anyways, “I’m just worried about you.” I looked to the side.

His smile turned it to a big grin. Dylan seemed very pleased and returned to eating, but this time slower and more carefully.

A thought crossed my mind and I turned to him, “What engagement party?”

His eyes went big and grabbed my shoulders before I had a chance to react, “I forgot to tell you! Shouldn’t Jane have told you? Where is she by the way?”

“What party, Dylan?” I asked, distracting him.

“There is a party to celebrate our engagement party. It will be next week. Ask Jane about it. She will fill you in on the details. Charles must know already, he’s been to a few so if you have any questions, ask him. Would you like to tell Lisa or should I?”

“I will,” I answered in a hurry.

Dylan nodded and pecked me on the lips, “I must go now. There is a lot I must do. I will see you this evening.” He then left me but not before grabbing an apple.

I watched his as he left. I sighed and placed a hand on the counter. This was really happening to me. Its all so fast.

I left the kitchen to find Lisa.