Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 22

I woke up, craving for food. I haven’t eaten in days. I sat up, and hugged my stomach tightly. It felt as if there was a hole in my stomach. I also had a terrible headache.

“GIRL!” I heard a shout.

I bolted up and grabbed the covers. “Yes?” I asked nervously.

The old woman appeared at the doorway with a steaming bowl in one hand and loaf of bead in the other.

“Are you hungry?” She asked sweetly.

I couldn’t trust myself to speak, so I nodded. She handed me the hot bowl and placed the loaf on the bed.

The spoon was already in the bowl so I grabbed it and tried the soup. It was warm and creamy. I ate slowly and took bites of bread in between breaths. I finished it quickly. I looked at the bowl with great sadness and much regret. Then, it disappeared from my hands. I look up to see the old woman returning to the corridor with the bowl. I nibbled on the unfinished bread.

She returned with the bowl filled to the brim and handed it to me. I took it from her.

“Thank you” I said before putting the spoon into my mouth.

She looked at me with slight interest, “I didn’t realize who hungry you were. When was the last time you ate?”

I thought about while chewing the bread, “I don’t really know. My memory is fuzzy.”

She sighed, “I’m taking care of a child.”

“Hey! I’m sixteen years old!” I frowned at the thought.

She looked at me seriously then broke into a laugh.

“My child,” She said softly. She left and returned with a stool. She sat in front of me.

“My I have clothes?” I asked seriously, with food in my mouth.

She was surprised for a moment then frowned. She hit against the head and commanded, “Don’t speak with food in your mouth! After I’m through with you, you will be unrecognizable.”

She grabbed my empty bowl and left. When she returned, she had a long dress with her.

“Put this on, “she commanded.

I awkwardly managed to put on the dress without showing my body, under the covers.

She sighed and sat down.

A thought hit me.

“When was the second ball?” I asked.

She looked at me, “About two weeks ago.”

I gasped. “Two weeks ago?” She nodded. “I was in jail for two weeks!”

She raised an eye brow at me, “You were asleep for two days.”

“I was?”

“Slept like a baby.” The woman confirmed, and then quickly added, “That was having horrifying nightmares.”

I couldn’t speak. I was gone for two weeks. What happened?

“You were very sick.” She explained, “On the verge of death when you appeared at my door.” When I didn’t answer, she asked, “Are you going to the final ball?”

I stared in shock, “I can’t! It’s not possible. Did you know what happened?”

“You killed Stefan.” I nodded quickly. She looked at me with bored eyes, “I’m not completely isolated here, you know. I have to go to the market.”

“Then why did you sa-“

“Save you? Please, Stefan was crazy from the beginning. Even your mother saw that. People are blind these days.”

I looked down.

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

“What?!” I stumbled out the bed and went after her. Before I could take a step, I fell. My legs were numb.

“Foolish girl. You won’t be able to walk for a bit.” She then leaned over and touched my scar. I recoiled. “That is why. I won’t bother you with details, but when your body gets hot, you’re blood will pulse faster and your scar is in your leg is really deep, so blood doesn’t get to your leg and you won’t be able to walk. You will usually feel dizzy before it happens. It will happen when you’re sick or-“She turned to me and looked at me seriously, “Or you are in love.”

“What?!”

She sighed, “Your heart starts to beat frantically near the person you like, even if you don’t realize it, and then your legs quit and you won’t be able to walk.”

Frowning, I dragged myself closer to her. She doesn’t even notice me and keeps walking away.

“As I said, you are going to the ball. I will teach you how to be a lady.” She looked at me with disgust, “Or at least look and act like one.”

“Old woman,” I growled at her. She turned from me. Wait, I know her name, don’t I? I searched my brain.

“Magdalena.” I called out.

She turned around gracefully and said sweetly, “Yes?”

“Can you please help me up to bed?” I asked as sweetly as possible.

“Of course,” She replied and with her inhuman strength, Magdalena picked me up and placed me on her bed. She then took out dark purple fabric and her sewing needles and started working on the wad of fabric.

“They are going to capture me and sell me?” I asked.

“That won’t happen.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yes, really”

“And may I ask why?” I pressed.

“Because, it is a masquerade ball and no one will recognize you.” She replied.

I took a strand of hair and curled it around my finger. It felt nice to have such smooth hair. “Dylan will know it’s me.”

“Oh? And who is this boy?”

“The Prince, we met a few days before the first ball.”

“A boy you have known for less than a month, will find you in a masquerade ball?

“I-“

“And is this the boy who, if I’m correct, gave you to the murder?”

“Wel-“

“Then at the trial, allow you to be thrown into jail?”

“You don’t underst-“

“Don’t Understand?” She looked up at me, “Even if he was your friend, he would have got you out of jail! What was he waiting for? For you to rot and die? By the looks of you, all you needed was a few more days!”

I stared at her speechless.

“And he will find you? I will make sure that after I finish with you, your own mother, if she was alive, wouldn’t recognize you!”

I buried my face in the blankets.

There was no point of fighting her.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. She whispered in my ear, “I’m trying to help you so please, just please bare with me. Everything will be ok.”

I nodded.

~Please note!

I’m trying to design a dress for Diane! So please if you have any ideas of suggestion please comment. If you have a dress you found or pictures please send a link! Thank you! ~