Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 6

Zoey and Lisa got very excited and started to jump around. Rachel seemed happy, yet deep in thought. I found myself staring at them. I felt troubled and confused.

"Who's the Prince?"

Zoey and Lisa stop dead in their tracks. Rachel stared at me in disbelief. Silence hung over us like a dark cloud. Finally, Zoey broke the silence. She placed her hand on her forehead and shook her head. "It's embarrassing to call you my sister."

"You don't," I challenged her.

"Now you know why." I glared at her. Rachel eyed me. Zoey rambled on, "The Prince isn't actually a real prince. Mind you, I bet you actually thought he was a real prince." I rolled my eyes. "He is the son of the duke who rules over this part of the country. We call him the Prince because he is amazing, hot, incredible, smart, rich and the 7th in line for the throne! And he's here to find a bride!" Zoey squeaked, barely holding her excitement.

"Wow, 7th? Very tempting," I said nodding and pretending to be very intrigued.

Lisa scoffed, "You wouldn't understand."

"No, I guess I wouldn't," I said evenly, daring her to say something more. Lisa sunk back.

"Girls! Let’s get serious! You must marry him! Bring our name to power!" Rachel's over done eyes were burning with determination.

A maid entered the room and informed us that the mail has arrived and it seemed important. She then handed Rachel an official looking envelope.

Rachel looked at it. She looked at us, with a hint of a smile. She broke the wax seal and opened the envelope. Her eyes briefly scanned the letter. When she realized what she was reading, her eyes widened. 

"The Duke invites every single young adult in this household to the Three Balls of Love. You will be able to find your true love there. His son will also be there to find a partner. It has been organized by her highness, the Queen herself. It is very likely that the Price will inherit the throne, so she would like him to find a wife before any further decisions are made,” Rachel summarized. Lisa looked at me with a told-you-so look. I rolled my eyes. Rachel continued, “The first ball is the casual ball of companions. Please arrive in casual clothes. You will be able to meet different people. This will be in a week. Two weeks after that, there will be a formal ball, where the mood will be more romantic. Then four weeks after the formal ball, will be the masquerade ball. If you truly love someone, then you will find him or her without seeing their face. Anyone who takes their mask off will be booted out," Rachel stopped reading.

I frowned, “Booted out? Did it really say that?”

"No, I might have changed the wording a bit but that’s not the point,” Rachel turned to Zoey and Lisa. “One of you two must be destined to be with the Prince! This is perfect! Ah, we must prepare. Find the perfect dresses."

"Mom, what about Diane?" Lisa gave me a look.

"What about her?" Rachel was too busy scheming.

Returning the look to Lisa, I dare to ask Rachel, "Can I also go to the ball?"

Rachel looked surprised. She studied me carefully. Then shockingly, she says, "Of course you are going. You're very young but you are still a young adult, aren't you?"

I look at the floor nervously, "Yes, but I don't have a dress."

"Don't worry about that. Lisa and Zoey will defiantly have a dress for you. They will help you, but you too, have to help them prepare for the ball. And you still have your chores though." Zoey and Lisa were about to protest, but Rachel cut them off, "You will have a dress for Diane, correct?"

They looked down and mumbled, "Yes ma'am, we shall find one."

"There, now let’s go. We need to buy you two your dresses. We mustn’t let the others get the best dresses."

They left in a hurry, leaving me in bliss. For a moment, I just stood there. Absorbing everything that happened. Then it all clicked.

 I hurried upstairs, to the attic. I dropped the rag I was unconsciously holding. Then, I slid on my knees to the other side of the room. I was out of breath. The sparrow had come out and started jumping around. I laughed out loud. Shocked, I cover my mouth. Taking a crumb, I fed it to the baby bird. I hadn’t felt this happy or energized in a while.

I danced around the attic. The need to jump around was too great to ignore. When I grew tired, I fell on to my covers.

“Ouch,” I rubbed my head. I’m an idiot. This was no bed, just a sheet. It wouldn’t stop me from hurting myself. Ignoring the throbbing pain in my head, I giggled. I was partly happy and partly disgusted in myself for acting like Lisa when she got something right. I tried not to think about it.

The sparrow hobbled over to me, flapping its wings in excitement. She didn’t even know why, but me being happy was good enough for her. I brought my finger near her. She jumped on and gripped on to my finger. I brought her close to my face.

“I’m going to go to the ball!” I exclaimed. The sparrow ruffled its wings in response. Satisfied that I let it out of my system, I laid back down on the covers. I felt so much more peaceful now.

“I feel like Cinderella,” I informed the bird. I couldn’t help but wonder who was THE Prince. He seemed important. I wonder if he is good looking. I stared at the bird.

Laughing, I told myself, “I must be going crazy. I am talking to a bird. Am I really that lonely?”

Happy people do crazy things I decided. How will I look in a dress, I wondered. What will I do with my hair? Im screwed. Maybe Zoey will know what to do. I can’t wait.