"What's up?" I asked after he didn't say anything, suddenly feeling nervous. "Lucas told me you were having therapy sessions. How are you? I was really worried when you didn't show up in school." I reached out to brush his hair from his face but he moved his head away sharply. I frowned, confused.

"I wanted to talk to you about something." He stated, voice grave. He wasn't looking at me now, his eyes downcast.

"What is it?" I choked, realizing he'd ignored my earlier questions but I decided not to push.

Daniel swallowed and moved his head up to look at the empty sofas a few feet from us. He licked his lower lip and finally looked at me, a seriousness in his eyes I'd never seen before.

"I have no intention of being around you anymore." He announced, voice flat.

My eyes widened to the point where I felt like I was going to pass out. No intention? What was he saying? My brain struggled to get what he meant when it was obvious.

"Why?" I squeaked.

"I just feel like it's not working. Like I'm wasting my time and energy and I can't do it anymore." Daniel replied, his tone was monotonous, his eyes roving over the rest of my face but refusing to settle on my eyes.

"But why? I don't understand. Did I offend you?" I asked.

"No, I just don't want this anymore." Daniel said, his hand reaching up to brush almost tiredly at his left brow.

"Daniel..." I said, reaching up to grab his hand but he quickly moved it away.

"Don't. Just don't." He sounded peeved. I recoiled.

"Does this have anything to do with what happened on my birthday?" I asked tentatively, aware I was walking on eggshells.

His brown eyes darkened, a storm of anger pooling in them. He turned away from me, looking towards the door of the lobby.

"You're just not worth my time. It was fun while it lasted but I can't handle you or your friends. Quite frankly, this was all a mistake." Daniel said, tone dry, his jaw clenched in a vice-like lock.

"Daniel I apologize for what happened but don't do this. This doesn't make any sense. You can't just do this simply because of what Henry said." I rambled, my eyes probing, searching for a sign that this was some kind of joke.

"What part of this was a mistake did you not understand?" Daniel suddenly snapped his head around to look at me. "I'm telling you I'm done with you. And that's it. I don't want anything to do with you anymore. It's that simple."

I was taken aback by the vile hostility in his voice, the austere set of his face. This wasn't Daniel. This couldn't be him.

"Tell me you're joking." I said, smiling feebly as I desperately tried to believe he wasn't serious.

"I'm dead serious Kimberly." Daniel said, his eyes devoid of any warmth. Cold, cold, cold. That's all I saw.

My breathing increased, sank, sped up, sank again, like I was underwater, futilely trying to reach the surface. I didn't know how to feel. So many emotions were running through me all at once.