She was so drained, so tired. Was this even real? Was she even alive anymore? If she was, what was the point? Her brother had betrayed her, allowed her to go through so much, she was a gang member for being nice to someone, and she, most importantly, didn't truly belong anywhere. Sure, Stray Kids were kind, they took her in, but in reality, she wasn't really like them at all. She was just hiding, cowering behind them.

     If you don't have a home, then what's the point.

     Suddenly she was being crushed, surrounded by strong arms. Taeyong settled his chin on her head, letting his silent tears drip down onto her.

     "Nari, I'm so sorry. I know that no matter how many times I say that, it won't make up for what I've done, and it won't make you forgive me. But you should know, I... "

     Voice shaking, he tightened his grip even more. "I had no idea that bastard was abusing you. I thought it would be better for you to live normally than drag you into this with me... and it was stupid, completely selfish of me. You're right, I abandoned you when you needed me, but I was destroyed when we lost them. Leaving was my way of coping, I guess."

     Her breathing had returned to normal, and she was beyond livid, but Nari squeezed her brother back. It had been too long since she'd been with someone who was her real family, and in spite of what he'd done, she still loved him.

     "But why a gang?" she sniffled, pulling back from the embrace and brushing the salty liquid off her skin. Taeyong chuckled and leaned back on his hands, red-rimmed eyes creasing.

     "There's a lot we need to talk about."

°   °   °

     "Right now we're in the gang's shared home, this is not our headquarters," Taeyong explained as they strolled down a hallway.

     "Oh and, um, sorry about the blindfold and the rope. It was primarily for show, but the others got carried away," he apologized with an eye roll. Nari took a moment to reply, dazzled by the gorgeous interior of the building. It was aged like Stray Kids' house, but the aesthetic was very gothic, a Victorian aura radiating from every crevice.

     "Who were you putting on a show for?" she asked cluelessly.

     "For any members of Stray Kids who were still awake, we don't want them to know why we wanted you."

     Ah, of course. That made sense, obviously. Who would want their enemy to know every move they were making? Oh, wait.

     "T-taeyong, I'm a member," Nari stuttered. Her brother sighed and dropped his head.

     "I know, but it's okay, I can refute their claim, since I'm your family and I run a mafia myself."

     Her fingers brushed over her tattoo, and she felt the ghost of Hyunjin's lips running over it, tasting it. Shivering, Nari shook her head.

     "I - I don't want you to."

     He halted, almost falling over as he spun around. "Why? You have no need for them now, you barely know them! Why would you... " he trailed off, noticing her expression. Wincing, he nodded.

     "I see. You're actually friends with them."

     She swallowed hard, fiddling with her hands. "Yes, and I'm really sorry. It's just, they were the first people who accepted me since mom and dad, besides Ji - "

     Her voice caught on her friend's name, and she stopped, her breath shuddering. "I-I mean, I made a commitment to that gang, a promise, and to go back on people I trust, people I care about... it's wrong, and I can't."

     Taeyong was silent, chewing his lip thoughtfully. Finally, he grinned a little. "You know, I wasn't going to have you join NCT, I never wanted that life for you. I just wanted you here, to know you were safe. I wanted to get you away from Stray Kids, or any gang, who wanted your loyalty. That's why I hated them, and was so adamant about finding you. I didn't want any of this for you."

     He stepped closer to her, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. "But it's ultimately your choice, if you really trust them. I don't."

     Nari giggled at his "threatening" comment. "I really trust them," she assured. He heaved a sheepish sigh.

     "Well, I guess we need to set up a little meeting then, hm?"

     She nodded her assent as they continued to tour the house. Then a thought hit her.

     "Jisoo," Nari murmured. "She... works for you, doesn't she?"

     Taeyong muttered a curse. "Uh, yeah, she does." He avoided his sister's eyes. "She's currently being reassigned, since you're here now."

     Eyes stinging, Nari laughed mirthlessly. "She was never really my friend. She only pretended so she could spy on me for you," she said, the truth dawning on her. "Ah, I get it, you didn't want me to know where you had gone, but you wanted to keep tabs on me. But if Jisoo was reporting back to you, why didn't she tell you about our uncle?"

     Taeyong narrowed his eyes. "I've been wondering the same thing."

     He cleared his throat. "Anyway, I'd rather finish explaining when your gang gets here. Since they'll be responsible for you, they need to know everything about your past, our past. Can you get in touch with them?"

     Her phone was still in her pocket she realized. She pulled it out and unlocked it, holding it up to her ear as she walked a few steps away for some privacy.

     "Yeah, I'll just be a second."