Chapter 19

Saturday morning, Scott left for work and I took a shower then sat on the couch reading a book. There was a knock on the door. I got up and opened the door.

"Morning. You hungry?"

Noel held up two coffees and a paper bag. I rolled my eyes.

"What are you doing here Noel?"

"We both have to eat, might as well be together." He shrugged.

I looked at him for a minute then stepped aside. I was kind of hungry. He walked into the apartment and I closed the door. We sat at the kitchen table. Noel handed me a coffee and a muffin from the bag. He looked around my apartment then looked at me.

"Nice place."

"Thanks."

"Where's the boyfriend?"

"Work. He used to only work a couple Saturdays a month, but now they are making him work every Saturday."

"Bummer." His eyes looked into mine and I couldn't help but smile. I looked away then back at him.

"Just in case I wasn't clear enough the other day, you know nothing is going to happen between us right?"

"I wouldn't be so sure."

"Why's that?"

"Because you still fuckin' love me."

I looked at him and scoffed.

"No I don't."

"But you do."

"No I don't!" I objected.

"You do." He smirked.

"Were you always this annoying?"

He gave me a smile. We finished eating and he stood up. He gathered our trash and threw it away in the trashcan then looked at me.

"What d'ya wanna do now?"

I looked at him in disbelief.

"Noel, you need to go."

"I thought we could hangout."

"Well you thought wrong."

I walked over to the door and opened it and looked at him. He walked out the door then turned and looked at me. 

"See ya Claire."

"Goodbye Noel."

He turned and walked away and I closed the door. I smiled and shook my head then sat on the couch. I picked up the book I had been reading, but sat there thinking about Noel. I was still sitting there grinning when Scott came home a few hours later. 

The next Saturday, Scott left for work and I sat on the couch. I held my book, but just stared at the page. I wondered if Noel would come again. Sure enough, a few minutes later, there was a knock on the door. I smiled and got up to answer. Noel stood holding two coffees and a paper bag again. He smiled and I rolled my eyes and smiled as he stepped inside. We sat at the table and talked as we ate our breakfast and drank our coffee. We finished and Noel threw away our trash then walked over to the living room. He stood by a photo of me and Scott that sat on a shelf. He looked at me.