Chapter 11

There was a buzz in the air around campus. The baseball team had made it to the final of the West Tokyo tournament, and were due to play one of their rival teams, Inashiro, the following day. Charlie had been going to the games and had joined the school cheer squad in the stands, and she had to admit she was a little hooked on Japanese baseball. The atmosphere was phenomenal, and the skills on display were at a very high level. The battle for the players was a much a mental game as a show of physical prowess, and she could certainly see why her friends were so dedicated to the sport. What Charlie liked most, though, was how she could almost feel the hopes and determination of the players as they fought to achieve their dream: Koshien.

Charlie climbed the stairs to the top floor of the school, making a quick detour via Class 3-B on the way to homeroom. She poked her head through the door and saw Ryo sitting in his usual spot, hunched over a book on his desk. She chuckled slightly as she took aim, sending a paper plane flying towards its pink-haired target. Her aim was true, and the missile caught the second baseman on the temple, causing him to look up sharply. He broke into a smile when he saw Charlie standing at the door.

"Haha, nice shot Charlie. To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?" He gestured for Charlie to come in and take a seat.

"Just delivering your latest assignment. Not bad, senpai." Charlie smiled at her pupil and pulled over a chair, only then noticing that there was someone else sitting with Ryo.

"How come you never call me senpai?" Miyuki pouted dramatically as she took a seat.

"Because you are yet to prove yourself my master in anything. Plus, I'm older than you." Charlie poked her tongue at the catcher, who laughed in reply.

"Okay obaasan, if that's how you want to play it. Is that Ryo's next juicy song for study?" He gestured to the paper plane that his friend was unfolding, craning his neck to see what was inside.

"No, just the draft for his essay. Are you disappointed?" she teased.

"Just curious. I have been wondering what song you would pick for me if we used one for a study session."

"I could make a few suggestions..." chimed Ryo, a devious glint in his eye. "A few Frenzal Rhomb tracks come to mind – what do you think, Charlie?"

The violet-haired first year laughed at her friend's slightly harsh recommendation. "Hmmm, let me think about it." Their banter was interrupted by the bell, and Charlie exited with a wave to head to her class downstairs.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

As dusk was setting in, Charlie made her way out of the library and across the courtyard, heading for the spirit dorms. She had stayed back to study, waiting to catch the bus home with her father once practice had finished. She was listening to her Pop Punk playlist as she worked and, prompted by his comment earlier that day, had heard a song that she thought was perfect for Miyuki. She planned to slip it under his door before heading to the station. 

Charlie fished in her bag for the sheet she had printed and knelt to slide it under room 203. Suddenly, the door swung open and she fell back onto her butt in surprise. Raucous laughter followed as Miyuki took in Charlie's crumpled form on his doorstep. Charlie growled at him, and he managed to reign in his mirth long enough to see if she was OK.

"Sorry, Saki. I didn't see you, and you looked so funny sprawled out down there. Here, let me help you up." He crouched down into his familiar catcher's squat and offered her a hand.

She grasped his calloused palm and it was like a shock ran through her. Her heart started to race and her chest felt heavy, and she forgot that she was mad at him. She leaned closer to him as she pulled herself up, inhaling his musky scent. They rose together, slowly, only inches apart, neither looking at the other but neither pulling away. They stood in each other's space until the silence started to become awkward.