Chapter 3

"Damn, this is hard! Why are there so many words that mean the same thing in English? And why is the word order all mixed up?" Kuramochi slumped in his seat, looking defeated. "It's hopeless, I'm never going to get this." 

Charlie gave an understanding smile and patted his shoulder in support. "Yeah, I know it's tough, but you are really improving. And Japanese is the one with the mixed-up word order if you ask me," she added cheekily.

Her comment was enough to make Kuramochi huff moodily. "Yeah, but your Japanese is still way better than my English."

"Awwww, c'mon Kuramochi! Cheer up, not everything is a competition you know." He straightened in his chair and gave a half-shrug. "But if it was, then yes I would be kicking your butt," added Charlie, having a laugh at his expense.

"She's got you there, Mochi! Where is your pride? You can't let a little first year beat you or you will bring down the reputation of the team." Miyuki, who was sitting behind Kuramochi, baited his classmate with a pointed tease.

Kuramochi turned, annoyed. "Shut up Miyuki. It's not like you are some kind of star in this class either. Didn't I hear the teacher say you only just passed the last exam? You could probably do with some tutoring too you know, except you are too much of a stubborn ass to ask."

He turned back to Charlie. "Speaking of competitions, a few of us are having a video game tournament tonight and wondered if you wanted to come along? Might be a good way to let off some steam after all the extra study you have been doing."

Charlie smiled at the invitation. She couldn't remember the last time she spent the night just hanging out with friends. "Sure, I'd love to. But won't you get in trouble having a girl in your room? I thought the dorms here were boys only." She was used to being a bit of a rebel but didn't want to cause trouble for anyone else if they got caught.

"It's fine, I have a plan – trust me. Meet us in room 203 at around 7 pm. And be prepared to have your butt kicked, virtually speaking of course." The usual grin had returned to his face. As the bell rang, Kuramochi handed her a baseball cap, saying, "Wear this on your way in, you know, to disguise your hair."

Charlie nodded, taking the cap as she picked up her books and returned to her usual class for the remainder of the day.

Once she had left, Miyuki kicked Kuramochi's chair in protest. "Hey, what are you doing? That's my room, you moron. I don't want to get busted with a girl in there. And besides, I was planning to study tonight."

Raucous laughter broke out from the seat in front. "Yeah, right! Miyuki, study? More likely you were planning on geeking out with the new issue of Shonen Jump or burying your head in the team playbook. C'mon, you need to lighten up. And I need to have a break from Sawamura and his obsession with watching tapes of Narumiya. Anyway, weren't you the one just saying I couldn't be shown up by a first year?"

Miyuki frowned slightly at being so cleverly cornered – that was usually his move. "Fine, he sighed, "but there had better be snacks."

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

As she stopped outside of room 203, Charlie could hear Kuramochi's telltale laugh from within. She relaxed, relieved that he was  already there. Despite her apparently bold nature, she still felt shy and awkward with new people sometimes and was glad to know there was at least one familiar face inside. She adjusted the cap on her head, tucking in a strand of hair that had escaped out the side, and knocked softly on the door. A few seconds later it swung open, Ryosuke greeting her with his iconic smirk.

"Oh, Charlie-san you made it. With your height and that cap, I was almost fooled into thinking you were Haruichi for a second."

"Haha, very funny Ryo-san. But glad to know my disguise is effective at least." Charlie walked past the pink-haired third year and stood just inside the room.