Chapter 7

After lazing about in the sun to dry off, the four Seido students began to discuss where to go for lunch.

"Somewhere close," suggested Kuramochi, "I'm starving." He slipped his shirt back on and slung his satchel over his shoulder, ready to head off.

"Ryo, you seem to know your way around this area. Any suggestions?" Charlie's voice snuck up from beneath her tangled mat of hair as she fought to tame her damp, salty locks into a ponytail.

"Ah, there was a diner down the road that my parents took us to last time we were here that was pretty good. I think I remember the way." The third year nodded his head towards the main street leading away from the beach to indicate the direction. "You OK with that, Miyuki?"

The catcher nodded his assent, carefully cleaning his glasses before he slid them back on.

"Lead on, my friend," smirked Charlie, giving an overexaggerated bow. Ryo punched her arm lightly in return, and the two of them lead the way down the street.

Kuramochi and Miyuki fell in step behind them, the latter unusually quiet. His companion was quick to pick up on his mood. "You're awfully quiet, Miyuki. Don't tell me you are still sulking about losing to Charlie?"

Miyuki looked up, a blank look on his face. He had been lost in thought, replaying the scene with Charlie at the beach, trying to analyse how he felt and what it meant. Surely it was just a once-off thing, a product of them feeling a bit hyperactive after being cooped up all break? And Charlie was carefree and playful with all of them; she didn't mean anything by it and certainly not with him, right? After all, look at how she was with Ryo, and he didn't seem to think anything of it. He decided he was just overreacting and told his obsessive catcher's brain to let it go. He wanted to enjoy the rest of the day with his friends before the hell of training camp kicked back in tomorrow.

"Pfft, as if! And at least I lasted longer than you did, Mochi. Maybe you should pay for my lunch too?" He gave his green-haired friend an obnoxious smile.

"You wish," Kuramochi replied with a laugh, glad to see his friend's spirits lifted, and the two second years followed the pair ahead into the lunchtime rush of the local diner.

The boys all ordered large plates of katsu curry with extra rice. It seemed that even though they were away from the demands of their training, certain habits died hard – they were so accustomed to fuelling their bodies that they found themselves eating more without any extra encouragement these days. Charlie ordered the pork ramen, bravely refusing the fork offered to her by the waitress when she brought over their food. 

By the time Charlie was halfway through her meal, Kuramochi was crying with laughter at her complete lack of ability to use chopsticks. She had been a good sport about it to start with but had begun to feel embarrassed, a blush creeping into her cheeks as she growled in her defence, "Well I have to learn somehow, right? I'm not just going to give up and take the easy option." Although, if she was being honest, right about now she wished she had swallowed her pride and just taken the fork.

"Sorry, Charlie, I'll stop. You are actually getting better, and I like your fighting spirit." Kuramochi wiped his eyes and took a breath to regain his composure, patting her on the shoulder in apology.

"Speaking of fighting spirit," interjected Ryo, "Where did you learn to move like that, Charlie? Do you have an older brother who used to wrestle you as kids or something? I mean, Miyuki is a bit of a pushover, but for a girl your size to take down me and Mochi is kind of impressive."

Miyuki took the bait, shooting a narrowed glare at Ryosuke for the pointed reminder of his loss. He really did hate to lose, even if it was just a silly game between friends.