CHAPTER 12

Neliue POV

Looking out the window, seeing the blue sky and the clouds that seem near wanting to touch, I can't help but wonder how beautiful the sky is, the world is, in particular. I tighten my hands fold on myself letting me rear in the calmness and oblivion that this sight is and a hundred percent oblivious to whom seated next to me is.

Pure heaven.

Much to my dismay, my mind slams itself back into reality. The little heaven bubble I was in bursts. My life is an endless torture as I remember why am here, in this godforsaken awful plane ride that I dreaded to take with all it brings -jet lags. I remember what I am going for and what I left behind.

Leaving a daughter at a hospital, vulnerable, needing my help, to searching for a husband that I still, left behind, that doesn't need my help. The least of my concerns.

How in despicable.

Maybe now I look at the sky at a different angle, wondering how much this haven is a fake piece of shit. I'm not one to be fooled, my life is not as beautiful as this is, who am I kidding. The misfortunes that are going through in my life are not as peaceful.

But maybe that is why they say, if life gives you lemons then make lemonade. After all we are here for a short time.

_________________

Taking a breathe of fresh air, I take in the cool breeze of the familiar Los Angeles weather, argh! I can never get enough of this. As I take down the flight of stairs, my blonde curly hair whips in all directions. Summer is the time.

Immediately I order for an uber to take me to my destination. I don't want to waste time. Time waits for no man. My daughters life is on the line.
I am hoping to do this as fast as I can and head back home like i never left.

I look up at the skyscraper building, JAMES AND CO written at the top of the double doors entrance. My nerves kick in, I am here again. I never thought this is what I'll ever be doing since I left four years ago.

My heels make some noise as I walk in, hitting the marble floors of the building, each step I make I see a reflection of myself in the floor to ceiling mirrors. He had a thing for mirrors, looking at himself every minute as if he's not as good looking. He paid attention to himself too much. This place is as extravagant as I remember, nothing has changed much really. I clutch my purse tightly, i didn't come with a suitcase, I never intend on staying for long, I can bet my knuckles are pale.

"How can I help you miss?" The receptionist asks with an attitude, perhaps of the summer dress am wearing that reaches just below my brown skin thighs and my four inch heels that needed an upgrade. I don't really care how I look these days. Glamour days for me were a mystery, with no one to impress. I don't read too much into it, she's new I can see, they're are always like this.

"Can I see Kim James please?" I plead my case.

"Do you have an appointment?"

"No."

"Then you can't see him if you don't have it, in case you don't know he's a busy man."

"I know but it is urgent, I really need to see him." I emphasise.

"Sorry you can't. Get going." She snaps her fingers and points to the direction of the exit.

There was no winning with this one. I think am going to put all the cards out on the table.

"Then tell him his wife, Mrs James is here to see him."

I can't help but notice the shock that plummets on her face. Yes I did pull out the wife card.

"Oh my God, I'm sorry ma'am, I will ring him up for you." She replies immediately.

"Grace, can you put me through Mr James he's wife needs to see him she says it's urgent."

Neliue immediately recognises the name, his personal assistant. They were good friends but not close, she hopes she will send her up.

"His wife?" Grace answers clearly shocked and confused about the information. She thinks its one of her many bosses mistresses. Nevertheless  she asks for a description just like she always does.

"She's black, curly hair I mean the usual, not that tall and dressed really awful." I roll my eyes.

This bitch.

Grace is now worried, she couldn't be, Mrs James has not been around for as long as she can recall.

"Send her up."

"You're okay to go up, take the public elevator."

Neliue just had it.

"You know what I am trying to be civil with you but you prove to be a pain in the ass, watch it or you'll get smacked."

She thought I didn't have it in me.

I head to the private elevator, getting in I smirk a victoriously showing her she can't tell me nothing.

When the elevator dings, signalling I'm up on the floor, my legs feel like jelly, my heart beating so fast I can almost hear it, my fingers shake as I adjust my clutch and neating my dress. I take a nervous breath and hold my chin up gathering the small bit of courage I have left.

My eyes make contact with Grace, she looks like she's seen a ghost, she opens her mouth to speak but no words come out. She gets out of her desk meeting me in the middle and giving me a hug.

I show a weak smile as she questions of how I have been doing.

"Where is he?" I ask

"In his office, I haven't told him yet that you were the wife, I just thought that it was one of his...someone else." She corrects herself mid sentence.

Neliue can't ignore the pang of hurt she feels, she knew exactly what she wanted to say, but she knew she had no right, she left and he is a man, she convinced herself it was nothing.

"Where have you been, you look good must I say, what happened?"

Neliue couldn't keep up with all the questions, she wanted to answer her but she was a woman on a mission. She couldn't be stopped.

"I will give all the details Grace but not today. I need to see him first."

"Okay you can go in and may I warn you first hand that he is in a sour mood today. I hope I don't get to lose my job." She frowns.

"I will talk to him don't worry." I say but I don't think he'll listen anyway.

I knock on the door. "Come in" is heard from outside. His gruff voice is still sexy as hell may I say.

He doesn't look up from his paperwork, I take a quick sweep to look at him, his hair is tousled back, his beard now growing creating a beautiful stubble that I feel like running my fingers through, his forehead has some few worry lines if not for his age you'd think he's aging, he's muscles are now bulging from his coat. Somebody has been working out. The silence is deafening and he definitely notices.

He looks up.

His blue orbs connect with mine. The room becomes tense. His features seemingly shocked but regains it normal stature as if everything is back to normal. He growls as he welcomes me.

"Neliue fucking Marie."

"Kim fucking James."

"What the fuck are you doing in my office?"