twenty-two

laila

laila

4 months later

laila walked through the hospital hallways heaving a small sigh as she gave a small smile to the nurses at their desk's.

she adjusted her Dior sunglasses gifted to her as a get well present from bethany.  

"how are you doing today laila?" a nurse named janet asked laila as she gave the young girl a small smile.

janet was in her mid 20s, short brown haired black woman that was always super nice whenever laila came to visit lathan.

"i'm fine janet, how about yourself?" laila asked sweetly as she took her sunglasses off her face, revealing her tired eyes.

sleeping wasn't something laila really did anymore. it's not like it was on purpose though, she physically couldn't fall asleep without having a really bad nightmare so she decided to not bother.

janet gave laila a small smile when she looked into her beautiful brown eyed orbs, deciding she shouldn't ask so many questions, she just left it alone.

"i'm doing well sweetie, we have some left over cupcakes from a staff party from a few hours ago, do you want to take one down to lathan?" janet asked as she got up out of her rolling chair.

laila smiled softly and nodded her head. "that would be nice" she said softly, while stuffing her phone and shades into her purse.

janet smiled sweetly at her and nodded before going to the back, grabbing two napkins she placed 2 vanilla cupcakes on them. she then walked back over to laila and handed them over to her.

"thank you so much janet, i appreciate the sweet gesture"

"don't worry about it sweetie, i'll stop talking your ear off now, he's in his physical therapy room hun" she said softly.

laila pursed her lips and walked down the hallway with both cupcakes in her hand. once she finally got to the designated room she knocked softly before entering.

she came in with a smile on her face but it soon altered when she saw lyric holding lathan's hand, her face super close to his as she stopped talking, looking laila dead in her eyes.

laila didn't say anything as lathan looked over at her.

"hey baby" he said lowly, not really acknowledging her presence like she wanted him to.

laila only gave him a small smile while she walked towards the other side of the room. she sat her purse down along with the two cupcakes. taking a seat on the chairs beside the counter she crossed her legs and stared off into the distance.