Chapter Five: The Job

DATENOV 6TH, 2038TIMEPM 07:49:06

DATE
NOV 6TH, 2038
TIME
PM 07:49:06

The air is frigid and cold, causing the small body to shiver. The girl sat on the steps of the patio leading out to her back yard, her green eyes staring out at starry night above. The cold wind dances past her, pushing a strand of blonde hair into her face. The girl tucks the rebellious strand behind her ear, her body shivering.

"You're going to catch a cold." The blonde jumps slightly, surprised by the sudden voice that broke the silence she was living in. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you." The red hair android apologized, cupping her hands in front of her. The ten year old remains quiet, still gazing at the stars. "May I join you?" Devon glances at the female android for a moment before looking back at the dark sky, nodding her head slightly.

The android smooths her dress down then takes a seat on the step beside the little girl. Devon wraps her arms around her knees that are tucked into her chest. "Why does he hate me?" Her voice breaks the silence and she could feel the androids gaze on her. "He doesn't hate you-"

"Then why does he hit me?" Devon shifts her eyes onto the android, them brimming with tears. The fresh bruise forming on her cheek stings when the cool December air brushes past her. Evelyn opens her mouth to speak but she soon closes it. It becomes quiet again and Devon scoffs as she looks away front he android, not expecting her to speak.

"It's not right what your father is doing." Devon turns her gaze back to Evelyn. The android seemed to be thinking as she speaks, her LED spinning yellow. "And I'm sorry that you have to deal with that." The blonde looks away quickly, to try and hide the tears that are ready to pour from her eyes.

"I wish mom was here." Devon whispers, tightening her arms around her legs. "If she was here I wouldn't be so sad and dad wouldn't be so mean." The girl releases a shaky breath that turns into a fog around her, a tear sliding down her red cheek. "I wish I made him happy. Maybe if I was a better daughter he'd love me..."

A comforting hand is placed on hers, causing Devon to shift her green onto the android that was looking at her intently, her body fully turned towards her now. "You are a great daughter." Evelyn begins, her blueish green eyes looking into Devon's. "You are a great person, Devon. I have been fortunate enough to be here with you and I can tell you that you are one of the most interesting humans I've ever met." A smile tugs a Devon's lips and Evelyn smiles as well.

"Really?" The girl sniffs, wiping away her tears with back of her hand. "Yes." The android answers simply with a nod of her head. "You're pretty cool, Evelyn." Devon smiles at the android, feeling warm suddenly. Not temperature wise, but inside. That coldness in her heart beginning to warm up slightly. "Thank you." Evelyn looks up at the stars and Devon looks up at them too.