There Was An Ambush...

Jess POV

The sun was now high in the sky, as we continued walking down the never ending path. I had gone on and on in the morning when I realised that we had been walking on a yellow road to get to our destination, and had even passed a scarecrow on the way. But I eventually got bored of ranting about the Wizard Of Oz story to Aladdin and Robin(who both claimed they didn't know anyone related to that story) and I was sure they were too.

Now we walked in a miserable silence, each in our own deep thought. The main thing on my mind was worrying about Stormy's safety. It's strange how I became so close to a wolf I had barely known.

"I thought you said we'd reach a town by daytime". Robin said to Aladdin, breaking the silence.

"That's what I thought. But I guess I was wrong. I do wonder why people don't travel this way anymore". Aladdin replied.

"Yeah. But that doesn't matter now, does it"? Robin said flatly. "You know what? We can't go on if we don't rest. Let's settle for a few minutes".

Aladdin and I both agreed with his decision and we all settled down near the closest tree.

I sighed, as I put my bag on the grass to lay my head on. As soon as I plumped myself down to finally get some shut eye, I felt this weird tingle up my spine. I sat up immediately. 

Robin looked at me. "You feel it too"?

I nodded. "This weird sensation in my back..."

"It's your senses developing to this world. You can sense when someone is watching you even from afar". Aladdin explained, standing.

I quickly scrambled up to stand, just as the trees rustled around us, and several kids jumped out of them and surrounded us.

My eyes widened. They all looked around seven to ten years old, and wore ragged clothes and looked bruised and dirty. But they all had weapons. Daggers, whips, spears and large catapults were gripped tightly in their small hands, and they had vicious looks on their faces.

"What's with the angry babies"? Robin asked nobody in particular, showing no sign of shock.

"Uh...the angry babies look like they want to skin us alive". I answered, picking up my bag.

"Don't move! Stay where you are, stranger"! The tallest boy among them who looked like he was around ten, came forward, and crossed his arms. He wore torn green shorts and a lighter shade shirt which looked too big for him. His blonde hair was messy and dirty, and his brown eyes were dark and mean looking. "Who are you and what do you want in our territory"?

Robin snickered, as Aladdin crouched down to the boy's height. "Calm down. We're not here to harm you. We're simple travellers, and chose this path because it's easier to get to our destination".

The boy narrowed his eyes, and looked Aladdin up and down. "Hmmm. That dressing...that staff...you're a wizard aren't you"?

Aladdin nodded.

The boy took a few steps back. "Take them away". He said. The children all launched towards us at once. I was grabbed from behind as ropes were tied around me faster than my mind could comprehend. "Arghh! What the...Robin, HELP"!

"Bit busy right now"! Robin yelled, flinging one kid over his back and grabbing the rope which had been flung towards him, pulling it and the girl on the other end forward.

I tried to wriggle out of my trap, but the rubber of the rope tightened with each movement. One girl stood above me, her chestnut hair wild and face dirty. "That rope can squeeze you to death if you continue moving. It's no ordinary rubber". She smiled, a wild look in her eye. 

Aladdin was blocking the dagger strikes from a small seven year old who looked extremely skilled for his age, using his staff.

"Be careful, Jessika! These aren't ordinary kids"! He yelled. "But don't hurt them! You too, Robin"!

The boy with the blonde hair whistled, and more children emerged from the bushes and jumped down from the trees. There was like a whole village of them. The boy took out a dagger from a pouch which had been tied around his waist with a small rope. He ran towards Robin, who grabbed the dagger with his bare hands and flung it into the air, then kicked the boy to the ground.

The boy looked startled for a moment, then grinned. He leapt up as Robin blocked another kid's attack from behind him and brought his leg up swiftly, and before I could yell out to Robin that metal had been attached to the bottom of the boy's shoe, the sharp object dug into his waist, making him yell out. 

"You little BRAT. Forget about them being hurt, I couldn't care less". He punched the boy right in the face, and he went flying across the pathway and hit a tree behind him.

"Robin! Don't..." Aladdin started, before two kids jumped down from the tree behind him, bringing a net down with them. 

He fell to the ground, but did not appear alarmed. "I can easily escape this". He said. "But I won't fight you guys. Robin, leave them. Trust me, I know what to do".

Robin's face was red with anger when he turned to his brother, but he sighed and stayed still as the children surrounded him and tied him down with the same type of rope they had used for me.

"Wise choice, stranger". The boy who had been flung to the tree said from behind me. He winced as he stood up. "You seem to be...the only smart one of the three of you..."

"What was that, you little..."

"Drop it , Robin". Aladdin said calmly. 

"What are you going to do with us"? I asked the girl who tugged the end of the rope, and started dragging me across the grass. She said nothing, but I noticed her reach for her pocket and take out a handful of black dust. She threw it over her shoulder and it fell in sprinkles all over my face.

"H...Hey..." I coughed as the smoky smell filled my nose. My head started spinning and everything around me became a blur. 

Then , suddenly, it all went black.

Soooo guess who's joined our series of twisted tales! Any ideas of who these guys might be? 

Just so you guys know, action scenes are the hardest things for me to write, so sorry if this was a bit crappy. But don't worry I will be sure to go over each chapter to edit once part two is finished. I would appreciate it if you had any suggestions for me to make the story better and maybe easier to read, or just let me know what I'm doing well so I can improve and do that more. 

Thanks!