"I don't have it on DVD," I said, taking my books out to write notes.

"Just chrome cast it," she said simply, as if it was the easiest thing in the world.

And maybe it would be, if I had any idea what 'chrome casting' was.

"I don't know how," I said, instead of admitting that I genuinely had no idea what she was talking about.

Her eyes widened, looking from me to my TV rapidly.

"Haven't your parents taught you how?" she asked.

"My mum doesn't know how to either."

I knew that for a fact, because she was what I liked to call 'technologically challenged'. She once asked me why the TV screen was blank, and seemed shocked when I told her that she had to turn it on.

"What about your dad?"

It had been a while since anyone had mentioned him. Even on my recent holiday to visit his family, no one really mentioned him at all. My friends knew he had passed away and knew not to ask questions. Having him brought up so casually was jarring.

"He's dead."

I saw her physically tense up, her hand pausing on Dennis' head as she registered what I had said. I didn't expect sympathy from her, nor did I want it. Dennis started whimpering at the lack of affection, but she ignored it, her eyes still boring into mine.

"So, if you want to show me how to chrome cast then go ahead, otherwise we will have to watch on my laptop," I said shortly.

She nodded slowly, getting up from her seat and walking over to the lounge room to turn on my TV. Another news broadcast about China was playing as she flipped through the settings.

"Did a pop up appear on your screen?" she called from the living room.

"Yes."

"Click on it, it should work after that," she replied.

It did. I left my laptop at the dining table and took my notebooks into the lounge room. Peyton had taken a seat on one of the sofa chairs that Dennis usually occupied.

"That's Dennis' lounge. He'll sit on you," I warned her.

"He has his own lounge?" she scoffed.

I didn't need to reply. Dennis came trotting into the lounge room and climbed up onto the sofa, plonking himself down on Peyton's lap as if she wasn't even there. I tried to hide my laughter, but I couldn't help but smirk as she struggled under his weight, shifting around to get comfortable under the eighty kilogram dog.

"Told you."

When Peyton finally seemed satisfied with her position under Dennis, I pressed play on the remote. I relaxed back into the soft arm chair and curled my legs up underneath me. Before I could get comfortable I suddenly realised I hadn't offered Peyton anything to drink. Even though I didn't like her, I refused to be a bad hostess.

"Do you want something to drink?" I asked her.

"No, thanks."