"Yeah, well, anxious isn't going to help us win," Ron muttered.

Harry didn't know what else to say.

And Ron didn't know how Harry could have so much faith in him. Unless he was just trying to be a good boyfriend. The thought nearly made him burst out and ask him right then and there, but one look at Harry, who was absentmindedly rubbing his scarred hand, and his anger deflated.

"Nearly done?" Hermione had appeared.

"No," Ron said.

"Jupiter's biggest moon is Ganymede, not Callisto," she said, "and it's Io that's got the volcanoes."

Ron's anger spilled out. "Thanks," he snarled.

"Sorry, I only —"

"Yeah, well, if you've just come over here to criticize —"

Hermione looked past him and out the window. "Ron —"

"I haven't got time to listen to a sermon, all right, Hermione," Ron continued, still fired up, "I'm up to my neck in it here —"

"No — look!"

Ron turned and saw a screech owl on the windowsill.

"Isn't that Hermes?" Hermione said.

"Blimey, it is!" Ron scrambled to his feet, hope brewing in his chest. Had Percy written to apologize to him?

But as he began to read the letter, his hopes were dashed. It started off as a congratulations for his becoming prefect, then went on about Harry, although not in the direction he would have liked.

... But I want to give you more than congratulations, Ron. I know we left on bad terms, but I hope you have had time to think about what I said. From something the Minister let slip when telling me you are now a prefect, I gather that you are still seeing a lot of Harry Potter. Once again, I regret to say I should never had encouraged you to pursue a relationship with him. Nothing could put you in danger of losing your badge more than continued fraternization with him...

It may be that you are afraid to sever ties with Potter — I know that he can be unbalanced and, for all I know, violent — but if you have any worries about this, or have spotted anything else in Potter's behaviour that is troubling you, I urge you to speak to Dolores Umbridge, a truly delightful woman who I know will be only too happy to advise you...

Please think over what I have said most carefully, particularly the bit about Harry Potter, and congratulations again on becoming prefect.

Your brother,

Percy

Ron let the letter fall from his numb fingers. Harry and Hermione read it together.

"Well," Harry said when he was finished, "if you want to — er — what is it? Oh yeah — 'sever ties' with me, I swear I won't get violent."

Ron didn't speak. This was his brother Percy who had written to him. The same Percy who Ron had gone to for advice back in his third year. The one who said Ron should tell Harry how he felt. Who backed off when Ron said he didn't think he was ready for a relationship just yet seeing he was only thirteen at the time.

"What if he doesn't feel the same way?" Ron had asked.

Percy had shrugged. "I doubt he'll break off your friendship. It might be a bit awkward at first, but you'll be fine. I'm sure there's other boys — or girls — you'll find."

At that point in time, Ron had harbored doubts he would find another person like Harry, and by the fourth year, his doubts had proven to be true.

"Ron?" Harry gave his shoulder a nudge.

"Sorry, just thinking." His earlier rage overtook his shock and he snatched the letter back, tearing it into pieces.

Hermione and Harry stared at him.

"What were you thinking about?" Hermione asked tentatively.

"It's not important," Ron said brusquely. But then he burst out, "I don't get it! One moment, Percy's happy for me and telling me to go for it, the next he's regretting it! I just — argh!"

He buried his head in his hands. "He means well, I know, and I'm so angry I can't stay mad at him."

He pushed his frustration aside and pulled Professor Sinistra's essay toward him. "Come on, we ve got to get this finished before dawn."

Hermione looked at him for a moment, then held out her hand. "Oh, give them here."

"What?" Ron looked at her in surprise.

"Give them to me, I'll look through them and correct them," she said.

"Are you serious?" Ron grinned. "Ah, Hermione, you're a lifesaver, what can I —?"

"What you can say is, 'We promise we'll never leave our homework this late again.'"

"Thanks a million, Hermione," said Harry weakly, passing over his essay and sinking back into his armchair.

As Hermione began to work on their essays, Ron chanced a glance at Harry. His expression was unreadable, a sign his emotions were at an all-time high. But Ron could guess what he was thinking.

Out of all the people that would believe Harry to be dangerous, Percy was not high on the list. After all, he knew Harry better than most people — or so one would think.

Without speaking, Ron scooted over and pulled Harry closer. Harry leaned his head on Ron's shoulder.

It was this scene that Sirius came across as his head appeared in the fire.

Eff you, Malferret, and the rest of your buddies. And Percy... I love you... but I'm making this so angsty for you. Why do we love torturing our faves?