iv | Vengeance for Blood

| | |

Ruwei is desperate when she makes her sister's necklace.

She makes it when she visits her sister, on a three day break she has from work. She goes on a whim, calling Ruyue at the week's end and arriving the next morning.

She knows her sister is not doing well.

Letters devoid of hope have flooded Ruwei's mail for months now, tearstained sadness speaking of dreams abandoned and terrible people who do terrible things. Drugs and gangs and desperate measures for desperate people who need money to live and live for money.

But she doesn't expect this.

Ruyue lives in a one room apartment two hours from Luoxia and works at what the English call a 'gentlemen's club'. She assures Ruwei that she is a 'drink girl', that she is not treated so terribly as her letters have made it sound.

But all Ruwei has to ask is Are you okay? and Ruyue breaks.

Ruwei thinks it is an enthralling study to see what breaks a person, but she never thought it would be Ruyue. She never thought she'd have to sit in a dark room listening to her sister whisper over and over and over again, I can't do this anymore.

And Ruwei didn't know she could feel rage like this until she hears those words.

Ruwei leaves the next day, her train back to the mountains set to depart at noon. She cannot stay here, as much as she wishes she could, but she promises herself that she will not abandon her sister. She promises to return.

She stays awake that night, sprawled on the floor of her sister's room and twists wires into orbs as Ruyue sleeps, passed out drunk and fatigued.

She gives it to Ruyue at the train station.

Ruyue is giddy, bright grin splitting her face as she throws her arms around Ruwei's neck. "Wo ai ni, Ru-jie!"

I love you, sissy.

And Ruwei, for once, returns her sister's embrace, a sad smile tugging at her mouth for the suffering she knows Ruyue has seen.

"Wo hui baohu ni, always," she whispers, holding her sister just a small bit tighter than she usually would. "Xiangxin wo ba."

Ruyue pulls away, wiping tears from her eyes. "Yes, Ru-jie." She nods vigorously, her dimpled cheeks taught from beaming so wide. "I know you will."

Ruwei boards the train, waving to her little sister as it departs the station, and inside, she can't help but feel that she is a failure for leaving Ruyue alone, all over again.

But Ruyue doesn't see her guilt. She simply waves her whole arm in the air, bidding her sister farewell in the only way she knows how. Extravagantly.

This is the last time Ruwei sees Ruyue smile, so full of joy, so happy and free.

And Ruwei never forgets the words she said to Ruyue. Ruwei has never said she loves her sister, but she thinks this is the closest she's come.

I will protect you, always.

Trust me.

| | |

Ruwei makes her way to town, guided by the crows.

Thirty-six days ago, she was new to Luoxia. Douxiu moved to the mountains here after her last kill and she cannot help but think that Xuanwu lead it here on purpose, knowing she would request more than just the death of her sister's killer.