A Tale of Tails

Confined in hypocrisy like the animals they had once caged and claimed as pets, it was impossible to get comfortable. Most of their conversations turn to arguing about who had more room, or who's fault it was that they were here. Their bodies hurt from having their arms and legs pressed against the walls, and being unable to stretch properly. There was no place for them to use the bathroom, and both were embarrassedly forced to just let it go when nature called. Only number one of course, they were not completely unruly animals yet. This cell would have been a struggle for a couple rabbits to deal with, and it was unbearable for two full size humans to be locked in. Luckily for them, the door to the cell was finally opened. A sense of relief and freedom washed in with the smell of much needed fresh air. Greeting them was four soldier rabbits waiting with their spears drawn.

"Marcus wants to see you" one of the rabbits spoke up, cringing up his nose at the smell as his beady fearful eyes met Brian's.

"These humans stink. I have never smelled anything so disgusting, and those boars are tough competition" another of the rabbits chimed in, also retracting his nose at the pungent odor they were exuding.

Beth and Brian slowly crawled out of the cell as they struggled to get to their feet. Their bodies were stiff and sore. Pins and needles shot through their feet while holding the weight of their bodies for the first time in over a day. They clung to each other awkwardly for stability. The rabbits did not have the patience to let them stretch out, and they began prodding them with spears to get moving. The leaves of their fabricated clothes had ripped and disintegrated, leaving both exposed once again. The only thing left was some small remnants of the vines barely holding on. It was true that they did smell, days without a bath, a night spent lying in the woods, their first encounters with this mad world, and being held in a cramped cell had done its damage. They looked like beasts themselves, covered with cuts and bruises all over their bodies, with their hair disheveled and matted. The smell of body odor and urine was enough to burn their own nostrils, and tear up their eyes. Through all this they were still alive and together.They were led through long barely lit hallways within the fortress. Ducking their heads and crouching their bodies to make it through. A set of large ornate doors were visible with two rabbit guards waiting. They opened the doors as Brian and Beth approached and a magnificent room with a stone floor, exposed beam supports, and statues of warrior rabbits laid waiting. In the center at the back of the room sat Marcus on his throne. Standing by his side was Harold and in his small rabbit paws he held what appeared to be robes. He was bandaged up but was at least upright and alert. Marcus motioned for the rabbits to leave them be and close the door. It shut with a load thud that echoed through the room.

"Harold told me you were trying to help him. For that I am grateful. You could have left him to die, and you chose to risk your lives bringing him back here. Your act of compassion has saved your life this time. You absolutely are repulsive to look at, here are a couple robes for you to cover up all that skin" spoke Marcus with the aura of a leader, while trying to hold back his disgust for the almost naked stinky humans.

Harold scurried over as fast as his banged-up body allowed and handed Beth and Brian each a robe. These were not made for humans, but Beth and Brian attempted to politely put them on. The robes hung barely past their butt cheeks, and the small piece of cloth used to tie them closed was just long enough to bring together the front of the robe. It looked like the world's worst start to a porno, but it was better than nothing and they were grateful that Harold had pulled through. He had saved their lives when Brian and Beth were in no position to survive in this world alone.

"Thank you your highness, for your mercy. We could use your help though. We still do not really know where we are, or what we are doing here. There has been a talking snake telling us to watch our back. We ran into a mouse that thought he was a tough guy. Beth fought and army of squirrels and we were almost eaten by thousands of ants. What is going on around here?" Brian asked.

"You are in Hareville and you are safe. I have heard the stories, but there are no other humans here. Many years ago, there was a man and a woman just like the two of you. When they arrived, we all had been living in harmony. Everything was one giant kingdom where the animals lived in unison. It didn't matter what kind of animal you were, we all shared the same respect and appreciation of on another. Once humans appeared they tried to get the animals on their side, but all they accomplished was dividing the kingdom into various animal tribes. They could not accept the way things were and tried to change them to suit what was best for humans. This world was created for animals, and humans have no place in it. Every animal chose sides and the man was the leader of one kingdom and the woman became the leader of another. War broke out across the lands that lasted almost a lifetime. One day, when this world was on the verge of total destruction, a voice from the sky appeared. It started giving direction to the different animal villages. Whatever it told our ancestors worked. The man and woman eventually disappeared and the fighting stopped, but the tension still lives on today between the different tribes. No one really knows what happened to them, but they are no longer here. Even though that war has been over since before I was born, we have been fighting between tribes ever since" Marcus explained, showing a glimpse at vulnerability that had not yet been seen.

"Well that makes sense why no one is happy to see humans. What about the voice in the sky? Something spoke with us when we arrived, and then we met that talking snake" said Beth.

"Everyone knows the same story I just told you. No one alive has ever heard the voice speak to them. It is thought that he was the creator of all this and brought humans here in the first place. Animals believe that this voice is the savior that stopped the destruction of the kingdom. Whenever there was issue between the tribes, the voice would give them direction to resolve their problems. To me, that is just a myth that has been used to control the masses with fear, keep the animals divided and stop them from finding the truth. That lisping snake Sam is always trying to spread panic, speaking in riddles, confusing everyone. Don't pay attention to him, he is just stirring things up" responded Marcus.

"Well we heard the voice as clear as day. It knew all about our past lives and said that it put us here because of what we did. As soon as it was gone that snake Sam showed up" Brian explained.

Marcus pondered the situation. This was the only real account he had heard about the man in the sky, but these are also the first humans he has ever met. Everything that he always knew and believed told him not to trust humans, and now he was presented a choice where that was one of the options. For some reason, he had an overwhelming feeling to believe them. He had always wondered about the real truth behind the stories that were told around the fire at night, and now he had his first chance to find out for himself.

"Maybe all the warnings he had heard about Humans were preparing himself for this day?" Marcus wondered, as he weighed his decision in silence.These humans had tried to help one of his own; he had to give them a chance before doubting their motives.