Planting The Seed

Marcus always considered himself a humble animal, never bragging about his accomplishments, and always willing to lend a helping paw to an animal in need. He also was known to be stoic with almost an emptiness for emotion. Sacrificing his needs for those of others was something he would never think twice about, but something was beginning to change. It could have been his own mortality finally rearing its ugly head, or maybe how close he was to actually losing it all that caused this new feeling. Whatever it was had planted a seed, one of greed and desire, the need for power and control, a selfish cloud engulfing his thoughts.

Hardly sleeping a wink, Marcus barely noticed as Lucius began to stir. Stuck in his mind, Lucius had to call his name multiple times before Marcus acknowledged him. Coming back to reality, Marcus was in a trance as he hurriedly dismantled their shelters and told Lucius to get going. As Marcus had already experienced, Lucius was not a get up and go type of animal.

"Can't we just take a few minutes to enjoy the day. I'm not ready for more walking, these wobbly legs are so sore from yesterday. I don't think I can walk anymore today." Lucius went on to complain.

"Lucius, you have two options. You can stay here and eventually make your way back up into the mountains, or you can follow me. I do not have time to waste, and this kingdom cannot wait." Marcus bluntly explained to Lucius.

Lucius was a sensitive type, and he did not take this ultimatum well. Marcus stared emotionless at Lucius as the bottom lip of his snout began to quiver. His whole body began to tremble and Marcus witnessed tears beginning to form in his little beady eyes. And then it happened, Lucius started wailing. An ultimate temper tantrum as he dropped to the ground kicking, screaming and flailing around. His tail darting out all around as Marcus casually took a step back to avoid being struck. To say that Marcus was not impressed was an understatement. For a moment he considered just turning around and leaving, but even with this new forming mentality, he still had a soft heart.

"Are you done? I'm ready to go." Marcus calmly asked as Lucius tried to stifle his cries."I guess so, it's just all so overwhelming." Lucius stuttered through the tears and snot that were dripping from his face."I'll give you a moment to collect yourself, but then I am leaving." replied Marcus as he walked away to let Lucius try and calm down.

It didn't take long for Lucius to realize that Marcus was not playing around. He struggled to get up onto his hooves, but swallowed his sorrow and pranced as fast as he could to Marcus.

"Are we going to Hareville today to see other animals?" Lucius sniffled."If there are any left to see Lucius" responded Marcus, not very interested in small talk."Well, what if they don't like me. Maybe I should just turn around." Lucius asked, now second guessing his choice to continue with Marcus."I would be lying if I told you they are going to be happy to see you, but you helped me and I am willing to vouch for you when we get there. Do not make me regret this decision." Marcus explained, not sugar coating anything."Really, you would do that for me. Are we friends? That sounds like something friends would do." Lucius continued to pry."No Lucius, we are not friends yet. Please do not get all emotional on me, we need to keep walking." said Marcus as he tried to walk a little faster to put some distance between him and Lucius."Well, how much further until we get there? I may need to take a few breaks today. You know how hard it is for me to walk on these legs." Lucius said, as he just couldn't help himself.

Marcus ignored the question as he marched ahead. Every step burned his skinny legs, but Lucius did his best to keep up and keep quiet. Marcus was on a mission and victory was seeming like an awfully sweet dish after everything he had been through. His optimism was beginning to grow the closer he got to Hareville. He now had the beginnings of another army forming with the outcasts from the City of Darkness waiting for him. Marcus was sure that either Harold or Brian would be able to bring a few more on to join his cause. There was also a good chance that Lucius could be used as piece in this fight to regain power. This way of thinking was foreign to Marcus, but whatever Lucius had done to bring his health back had changed something in him. Hopefully the old Marcus was not lost forever.