Chapter 1

Candie

"CANDIE!!"

I opened my eyes.

Oh the voice I know too well. My sister. "CANDIE GET UP RIGHT NOW!" I sat up and rubbed my eyes only to see my loving, amazing, adorable sister Carmelita Spats. "Why? It's Sunday." I groaned. "There are new cake-sniffers at Prufrock Prep today." She whined, "We need to greet them." She stomped off with the tap-shoes Vice Principal Nero gave her.

I rubbed my temples. Headache already I thought, getting up out of bed. I looked to my alarm on my bedside table. 9:49 AM. I groaned once again and walked to the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror and splashed water on my face. ugh I thought looking at myself in the mirror.

Being a Spat isn't THAT bad. Yes, you have to deal with an annoying little sister, being surrounded by pink all the time, hear constant whining that just about bursts your eardrums... yeah it's pretty bad. I mean there are some good sides. I don't have to wear the school uniform, and the vice principal likes me. That's about it.

Some days I can kind of see the similarity between us, we both had the reddish-brown hair although mine was darker, and blue almond eyes. But Carmelita has short, tight curled hair, I had long pin-straight hair. I had bigger lips and thinner lips. I wasn't spared of the short gene in our family but I was taller than Carmelita, about 5" 1/2. But I was spared the high-pitched voice. Thankfully. Oh, and the biggest difference, Carmelita wore big pink ballgowns with lace, I preferred red over pink, and I wore more slim fitting dresses.

I left my hair straight and down, kept my makeup simple, and a red floral dress. Simple, I liked simple.

"CANDIE!!!" Carmelita screamed, "HURRY UP!" I sighed and put on pair of nude flats. "Coming!" I yelled back, grabbing 'Romeo and Juliet' to return to the library and a note for my best friend and my boyfriend, Isadora and Duncan Quagmire.

I walked with my sister down the hall to Vice Principal Nero's office. We arrive closer to the broom closet that my friends will live in. It was stupid that everyone couldn't live in a dorm. I read the note one more time.

I'll see you guys at lunch, bringing blankets and pillows for you guys. xoxo Candie I quickly slide the note under the door with my foot so Carmelita wouldn't see it.

In the effort make a slightly good first impression, I walked slightly faster than my sister. "Hi, I'm-" "Hello, cake-sniffers!" Carmelita interrupts, "Carmelita!" I scold her quietly for her comment. "Hello, um" A girl that looks slightly older than me, with long, straight brown hair with bangs says. "Um, um," Carmelita imitates, I roll my eyes, "Are you a blithering idiot? Everyone knows I'm Carmelita Spats." I sigh "Not everyone." I say quietly to myself.

"I'm Violet Baudelaire, and these are my siblings Klaus and Sunny." Violet says with a smile. I smile back at her. I look to the boy next to her, he had glasses and blue eyes and was holding two books. He's really cute... wait what? No. I have a boyfriend. Next, I look at the baby, I smile and wave to her and she waves back How cute "What does 'cake-sniffer' mean?" Klaus asks. "It doesn-" I get cut off again, "It means you're a stupid cake-sniffer." Carmelita interrupts again, "but I'm the most special girl in the whole wide school. I'm supposed to give you a tour!" Klaus looked to me confused, I give him an apologetic look and shrug my shoulders.

"This is Vice Principal Nero's Office," I say guiding them closer to the door. "He's a genius. He likes me best." Carmelita gushes. Violet gives me a confused smile, I give her a defeated on in return. "I don't have to wear a uniform 'cause I'm just too adorable. She only doesn't because she's associated with me." Carmelita says giving me a look. "Charming as always Carmelita." I sigh shooting her a look back. "Come on!" She exclaimed excitedly.

Carmelita walked off quickly and quite loudly due to her tap shoes. Violet picked up Sunny and tried to keep up with her. "Oh, I didn't quite catch your name," Violet says tapping my on the back. " Oh, I'm Candie, Carmelita's sister." I say looking down.

"Come on cake-sniffers." Carmelita yelled behind her at the Baudelaires "I don't think it's a compliment," Violet groaned trying to keep up. "It's not, sorry." I say to them. Klaus groans. "People are looking at us." Klaus says looking around the crowded hallways. " Probably because we're new." Violet suggests. "It's because your house was destroyed in a fire." Carmelita said gleefully. "Don't listen to her," I whisper to the Baudelaires. "Don't encourage that." Carmelita says sing-song like.

We walk out to the field, "This is the athletic field. Our Gym teacher's coaching an away game, so I get to make people do jumping jacks whenever I want. "Memento Mori" Klaus reads off the scoreboard. "Our school saying." I say looking up at the scoreboard. "What does 'Memento Mori' mean?" Violet asks turning to Klaus and me. "Remember you will die." Klaus says still looking at the scoreboard. "Impressive Baudelaire," I say nudging him playfully. "Morbid, I know." I say looking at Violet.

We continue and walk toward the library. "I don't know what that building is. I never go in there." Carmelita says not even looking at the sign. "It says 'Library.'" Violet says trying to help. "Big mistake" I whisper to her. The Baudelaires look at me questionably. "Only a cake-sniffer would notice something like that." Carmelita says angrily. "See." I say to the Baudelaires in a 'know-it-all ' tone. "It's very clearly designated." Klaus tries to say.

"Oh! Hello. You must be the new students I've heard so much about! The Baudelaires, right?" She says out of breath. "Hi Ms. Caliban." I say with a smile, "Let me help you." I say grabbing a stack of books from her arms. "Thank you Candie."

"You shouldn't talk to the library lady, because she smells funny." Carmelita says looking at Ms. Caliban with a sneer. "Carmelita, always a pleasure," Ms. Caliban shoots back. Carmelita gives her a smile and continues to tap dance down the hallway. "A library is an island in a vast sea of ignorance." Klaus comments. "Particularly if that library is tall and the surrounding area has been flooded." Ms. Caliban Jokes. We all smile at each other. "Let's go!!" Carmelita says angrily. I sigh. "Oh, Ms. Caliban, I have to book I borrowed, I say handing her stack of books back and my copy of 'Romeo and Juliet'. "Thank you dear," Ms. Caliban says placing the stack of books on her head, "Come visit!" She says backing up into the library. The Baudelaires and I look at each other and laugh quietly.

We finally end our tour back at Vice Principal Nero's office. "And here's Vice Principal Nero's office, where you were supposed to be ten minutes ago. So now you're late." Carmelita laughs, "ahem." "ahem?" Violet says confused. "Ahem." Carmelita says, her patients running out. "Thank you?" Klaus says. "Thank you is not enough. It is tradition to give a special tour guide a tip at the end." Carmelita says getting more irritated. "A tip?" Violet questions. I sigh and rub the sides of my nose. "Yes, a tip!" Are you deaf and blind, cake-sniffer?" She says very angry, kicking Vice Principal Nero's office door. "Okay... Here you go Carmelita." I say handing her a five dollar bill pushing her out of the way.

"Who dares to interrupt a genius while he's rehearsing?" Vice Principal Nero yelled. "It's the Baudelaires. They're late for their appointment with you," Carmelita gushed. I just rolled my eyes. "HOW DARE YOU BE LATE!" He yelled at them. "It's not their fault Vice Principal Nero, I was behind schedule." He looked at me briefly. "Thank you Carmelita, for telling me. Oh, that's a nice broach, by the way." He said to my sister. "The original owner really liked it." She said. I looked at her brooch. That little thief! "That's mine!" I exclaimed looking at her. She smiled devilishly at me.

Carmelita twirled away tap dancing. "What a lovely girl. Sweet as a butterscotch buttercup. She has two living parents. I sighed again. "Well, Goodbye Baudelaires, if you ever need anything, I'm always here." I say placing one hand on Sunny's head, and the other on Violet's shoulder. I smiled at Klaus and walked away.