Chapter 3: A case of identity

Start from the beginning

Mary nodded briefly. They both knew that a mistake in this line of work came with a heavy price and although Mary had managed out some years ago, she of course remembered. She had many reasons to never forget.

The pair finished getting ready and left their equipment with the guard at the collection point before heading towards the door.

"And what do they want you to do, exactly?" asked Mary finally.

"Show up, put on a good face, and make a speech about how great the Ministry is. Apparently, my word is precious currency these days," Hermione answered.

Mary squeezed her arm comfortingly. "I know it's not ideal, but it could be worse. Anything you can think of that might make it less terrible?"

Hermione grinned mischievously and linked arms with Mary as they exited the security building. "As it happens, yes! We are going to Harvey Nicks!" She motioned to a sleek black car waiting outside. "I thought that since they want me there so badly, then they're getting the full muggle experience - even if they won't appreciate Chanel."

A handful of shopping bags in tow and several hours later, Hermione entered the house of 221 Baker Street to find a calm chatter coming from the upper floors, barely audible over Mrs Hudson's radio novellas downstairs. Hermione briefly considered grabbing the gun hidden beneath the stair seat, but when she heard John's laughter coming from the living room, her apprehension evaporated. She climbed the stairs and peeped around the corner into the kitchen, listening closely to see who else was in the room.

"John?" she called, and a slightly overweight man appeared. He wore a good-natured expression, and the smile that stretched out his cheeks reached into his eyes, which were too small for his face.

"Hi Hermione," John replied with a smile that lit up his small eyes. "This is Mike - Mike, this is Hermione."

"It's nice to finally meet you," said Mike. "John hasn't stopped talking about you."

"All good things, I trust," quipped Hermione as she deposited all her shopping bags on the floor and noticed the bottle and the corkscrew in Mike's hands. "Are we celebrating something?"

"Yeah," replied John excitedly. "I got a job at a clinic near Paddington Station – I guess I'm just lucky; I was apparently the only one that applied."

"That's brilliant, John!" About ten days ago, they had talked about work prospects during an idle chat and Hermione had shown him different vacancies within London. With his CV up to date, John had landed five interviews that same week.

Hermione decided she was not even going to ask Mycroft about it. Chances are he had tampered with the other applications, but she would rather celebrate what under John's knowledge was a bout of good luck.

"Well, then we do need to celebrate. And Mike can tell me how you two met."

After Mike had left, and the champagne had run out, Hermione and John sat in each other's company, each sitting in an armchair. The dizziness from the alcohol had worn off, and they found themselves in a drowsy stupor. At exactly five o'clock, Mrs Hudson walked in carrying a tray with tea, homemade cake and gingernuts. Hermione hadn't realised how hungry she was until she saw it all laid out before her.

"Sherlock loved these," Mrs Hudson said, causing both Hermione and John to glance up at her. "He could eat a whole basket if you let him; he'd go down to my flat and steal them every time I made them."

John cracked a sad smile at this remark, which tugged at Hermione's heartstrings.

"That he did," he murmured.