Chapter 10: "The empty hearse, Act I"

Hermione closed the door to the balcony behind her, with a glass of wine in one hand, her clutch bag clasped under her arm and a wool blanket hanging from her shoulder. She went to one of the wicker chairs, leaving the noise of Sirius' party behind. She settled into her seat, wrapped in a cocoon of warmth, and sipping from her glass while gazing into London's nightlife.

They should be celebrating Sirius' birthday as they did every year: with a good dinner, an expensive scotch and a late-night film. Instead, Sirius had decided to use his 53rd birthday to smooth things out with the magic folk, given the state in which Mycroft's decision had left them. Everything had been thought to make the attendees comfortable: Celestina Warbeck's latest hit was playing, there were elf wine and butterbeer and firewhiskey, and the Ministry had specially activated the floo in the designer fireplace in the main sitting room. Sirius had removed everything muggle that could be broken or tampered with like the Nintendo or the super high-definition telly. But the house was still painfully muggle, and Hermione could not help but feel vindicated. That sentiment carried her through the cocktail and the dinner, but when the party had started to segregate by gender, she had decided it was time for a smoke.

Hermione drowned the last of her drink and reached for her bag. She took a half-empty packet of cigarettes and lit one. She inhaled deeply and absently played with the daint onyx earrings John had gifted her on her birthday. It had also been the day Sherlock had been posthumously cleared of all charges, and John had taken one of the most important decisions of his life. Hermione glanced at her phone. John and Mary had probably just left the house they had moved in together some months ago. Mary had most likely made yet another remark about the horrendous moustache John was sporting, and they had driven to the restaurant where Sirius and Hermione should have been having dinner. Hermione had helped Mary pick the dress for what she thought was an anniversary dinner. Hermione had also helped John choose the ring he would present to Mary.

Hermione couldn't wait to hear a blow by blow retelling of the evening.

A loud crash made her turn her head to the inside of the flat. Behind the glass doors, Astoria Malfoy had dropped the champagne flutes she carried. On the floor, beeping happily, was the vacuum robot that usually roamed around the house. Sirius had come immediately and scooped up the machine, almost like if it were a dog.

Hermione took another drag of her cigarette. If only Mycroft wouldn't have conveniently booked a trip to Serbia, he could be here with her now, sharing a smoke and trying not to snigger every time someone made a stupid remark about the muggle world. If Hermione had made a drinking game out of that, she would have blacked out hours ago.

Her phone rang, and Hermione smiled, stubbing the last of her cigarette. She looked at the screen and frowned when she saw Mycrfot's caller ID rather than Mary's. Mycroft's trip, however, was the last of a list of anomalies that just kept piling up. He had been to five different "diplomatic missions" in the Balkans in the previous months, and from the last one, he had come back with a slight limp. She quickly picked it up.

"Hi, is everything alright?"

"I require your assistance," said Mycroft. He kept his voice light, but Hermione did not miss his command and got up immediately, leaving the blanket and the glass outside, locked herself inside of the toilet.

"Is it urgent?"

"A car will be at Sirius' door in..." Mycroft stopped for a brief second"...approximately five minutes. It will take you here."

"But it's Sirius' birthday, Mycroft."

"Hermione, I have not the time nor the energy to discuss this over the phone. Four minutes." Mycroft said, and hung up, leaving Hermione with the phone clutched to her ear. She opened the door and found Lavender Weasley on the other side.