Chapter 3: A case of identity

The whirring noise of the overhead light dominated the eerily quiet shooting range. At the far end, two body-shaped targets hung from the ceiling, and opposite them, two women stood in their shared cubicle.

"You know, Herms, when you said we were going out, this wasn't what I had in mind," said one of them, leaning against the edge of the counter that separated them from the gallery. Her short, blonde hair clashed with the strident orange of the ear protection around her neck, and the bird-printed shirt she was wearing seemed to be at odds with her surroundings.

"I thought you'd be bored with needles and flu shots, Mary. What did you think we were going to do?"

Mary shrugged. "Tea and biscuits, maybe?"

"Civilian life has made you soft."

Mary raised one delicate eyebrow and turned around quickly. With precise movements, she loaded another clip into her gun before taking aim and firing at her target. Taking the hint, Hermione took her cue and put her earmuffs around her ears. The smoking barrel from Mary's gun disappeared from her peripheral vision, and she saw in the distance the well-grouped holes around heart, head, and groin that Mary's shots had left behind. She pointed her gun, and a fast string of bullets pierced the paper, the shells falling against the concrete floor.

Once the magazine was empty, she removed her ear muffs and threw them onto the counter - missing Mary's frown completely.

With a press of a button underneath the booth table, Mary activated the target carrier, which started rolling forward.

"It's not like you to miss at this distance," said Mary as soon as their targets were close enough, flipping a torn piece of paper hanging from one of the holes.

Hermione did not reply, instead, she sat on the bench next to the control booth and grabbed a towel to wipe the sweat off her face."Is it your new assignment?"

When Mary moved in front of her, Hermione put the towel down and spoke. "It's not Baker Street or John," she stood up and stretched, hearing her bones crack. "If everyone was like John, this world would be much better off."

"Oh! So, we're fancying the doctor now?" interjected Mary with a smirk.

Hermione laughed and reached into her gym bag for her phone. "I'm not saying he's not attractive - he is. He's just not my type." She opened the secure folder in her memory card, scrolled down until she found a photo of Sherlock and John from a newspaper, and handed it over to Mary.

"He sure is my type!" Mary swiped right as she browsed through the other pictures, humming appreciatively. "Yeah, I think maybe one of the Holmes brothers would fit better with you, huh?"

Hermione threw her towel at Mary and snatched her phone back, discarding it inside her open bag while Mary laughed. Hermione took off her sweaty top, all while feeling Mary's gaze on her.

"The Ministry caught me on tape, doing magic in front of a Muggle," Hermione confessed and pulled on a clean jumper.

Mary's expression twisted into a scowl."How? Weren't they allergic to technology or something like that?" Hermione was about to dig into her bag for her deodorant when Mary grabbed her arm and stopped her. "Wait a second, are they blackmailing you?"

"They haven't said it in so many words, but the implication is there," said Hermione. "Mycroft mentioned a trial for multiple offences if I don't go - which I assume is meant as some kind of deterrent. And as much as I don't like them, I really don't want to know if people I grew up with are capable of putting me in jail."

"Can't Mycroft-"

"This is my mess, Mary," interrupted Hermione. "I made a stupid mistake, I have to clean it. You know how this is."