Chapter 5: Her last bow

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. It is my honour to be standing here tonight in remembrance of those who have given their lives for our freedom. I couldn't have done it without the help of Minister Shacklebolt and Auror Potter. And if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be here right now."

"Allow me to offer an apology before beginning. When I was asked to come here and give this speech, I didn't know how to face any of you. How could someone who chose to leave during such a dire moment be somehow the right person to deliver these words? But I come here with the perspective that years and distance have given me, and hoping there are some kernels of encouragement in my words."

"Saying that it's difficult to recover from a war would be an understatement. We thought that when Lord Voldemort died, peace would follow. Finally, the sun was rising, the dark times were already behind us. But like the change from night to dawn, it doesn't happen in an instant, but gradually. And that's what we did not understand. We knew that shaping a new society from the ashes was an enormous task, and in our hunger for reaching that promised land, some of us lost sight of the path to get there. I know I did."

"My impatience, my naive belief that it would be easy to overcome so many years of horror and injustice was in the end my worst enemy. All I saw was inaction and cowardice when in reality, all of us were grieving and still traumatised by what we had lived, paralysed by the enormity of what needed to be done. And there are things I did and said that I'm not proud of, as I'm sure we all are. I removed myself from a narrative I was too young and too broken to understand."

"I knew nothing of politics, and I can say that very few of us did. A lot hinged on a group of kids who had suffered things no human being should ever experience, on adults who had been systematically removed from decision-making and power. The only thing we agreed on was that we did not want what we had before. Yet having a common starting point doesn't mean our destination is the same, and decisions had to be made. Whatever those decisions may have been, what we can say today is that we are not persecuted for things we cannot change about ourselves, and we are on the path of healing."

"We all survived a war, we all fought in some way, and made mistakes along the way. But what we were and what we did, it doesn't matter. What matters is what we do from now on, and what we are willing to do to achieve the kind of world we want."

"There is a quote that says 'I was very lucky; I was part of the post-war period when everything had to be redone.' And that's you, the people who are fighting every day for building a better, fairer Wizarding Britain, and those in power who once led you into battle and now are ready to lead you to the future you deserve."

"All I ask from you is to have faith, keep hope, and never desist. As a community, we have endured the worst pains and humiliations, and for that, I'm incredibly proud of us. Fighting for you will always be one of the greatest honours of my life, and having risked my life for those who are not here today has been my privilege."

"Now I want to propose a toast to our brothers and sisters, who fell in battle. May their sacrifice never be in vain."

An ovation of applause and cheers echoed in Hermione's ears like a thunderclap. Her head felt like it was going to burst with the pulsing that kept increasing in her temples, so she had to shut her eyes. A wave of nausea swept over her and she searched frantically for Sirius, who had already made his way to the stage. He offered her his hand and helped her down the three steps, leading her away from the applause and whisking her off towards a table.

"You know, if Mycroft ever sacked you, you could make it as an actress," Sirius whispered as they made their way to the table and help her to her seat. He placed a glass within her reach, probably the same Ogden whiskey she smelled on her breath. At their back, the crown was calming down, and the Head of Magical Cooperation had taken the stage. Sirius' hand moved to her right shoulder, massaging the tension. "Well done, pup. I'm proud of you."