Chapter 21: The Six Thatchers, Part II

'She is perfect, isn't she?' said Mrs Hudson, and Hermione grinned into her champagne flute. On the sofa, Mary cradled the three-days old little Watson and cooed at her. The older lady leaned forward, and with delicate fingers, caressed the baby's tiny hand. Molly regarded mother and daughter over Mrs Hudson's shoulder, quietly sipping her drink.

A hand brushed her back, and Hermione turned to John. He simply smiled at her and topped up her glass. He left the bottle on the coffee table and returned to his wife's side. Hermione's eyes wandered away from the happy family, and they scanned the room until they found the missing guest near the staircase and the exit, engrossed in his phone.

She and Sherlock had accompanied John and Mary home from the hospital, but while Hermione had interacted with the little girl, Sherlock had barely brushed her cheeks shortly after birth. Upon arriving at the house, he had helped unpack the suitcases, taken care of the drinks, and had toasted with the others when the other guests had arrived. But as soon as the conversation died down, he had retreated into the corner of the room he was in and hadn't spoken to anyone.

Hermione pulled her phone out of her pocket and typed a brief message. A loud R2D2 sound came from Sherlock's direction, making everyone turn to look at him, except Hermione. Mary winked at him while John started laughing. Hermione then stared at the detective, who was frowning and had not stopped typing despite the interruption.

'How did you get him away from that bloody thing long enough to change your text alert?' asked John.

'John, despite what you might think, I do require sleep now and then. She simply waited,' answered Sherlock.

Hermione shrugged and left her glass on the table. 'Texting you it's the only way of getting your attention these days, anyway.' Hermione approached Mary, ignoring Sherlock's gaze on her, and received the sleeping baby. She brought the girl closer, inhaling the ephemeral newborn's scent, and over her tiny head, her gaze clashed with Sherlock's. A flash of something — desire, annoyance or anger, Hermione couldn't tell — crossed his blue irises. Around her, Mrs Hudson and Mary talked about names, and Molly was chipping in with her own suggestions, but Hermione was not listening. Only when John cleared, his throat did Hermione finally look away.

'Molly, Mrs H, Hermione,' began John and looked down at his wife. 'Mary and I... We would love you to be godparents.'

Molly laughed, delighted, and Mrs Hudson almost ripped the baby from Hermione's hands. The two women continued to make appreciative noises, and as John approached Sherlock, Hermione sat next to Mary on the sofa.

'Are you sure, Mary?'

Mary took Hermione's hand between hers. 'There's no one in this world I trust more than you. And them.' She gestured with her head to Mrs Hudson and Molly. 'And the thick-headed man with stupidly high cheekbones. God knows what we would do without him. My little girl couldn't ask for a better family.'

Hermione smiled, a lump stuck in her throat. Mary understood and tightened the grip on her hand, and both looked at John and Sherlock. John was quietly talking to Sherlock, holding his arms wide, looking exasperatedly at the ceiling. Sherlock seemed to be engrossed in his phone, but his eyes repeatedly flickered to John. Hermione could see a small smile on John's lips before heading to the kitchen, but Sherlock's expression was severe as he left the house.

Mary let her go but gave her a not-so-subtle shove with her shoulder, and Hermione followed him outside.

Hermione closed the door behind her, braving the chilly wind of the suburbs in just her blue cardigan. Sherlock stood in the Watson's tiny front yard, phone in his right and a cigarette in his left. She came closer to him, and as she had done nearly nine months ago, he offered her a drag. Hermione let the smoke fill her lungs and then watched it disappear into the air.