Chapter 11

The group scurried over to where Yuqi had been sitting earlier. Wei Ying cautiously picked up the piece of paper. It was a note from Yuqi.

          "It's a note..." Wei Ying murmured. "Read it." Lan Zhan said. 

          Wuxian, Wangji, Sizhui, Wen Ning. I'm sorry for leaving so abruptly. While you were emersed in your converstations, I heard Jiang Cheng speaking, and asking people to turn you guys in if they found you. They were coming towards this inn. I am going to run out and tell them that Wuxian and Wangji left me here, and went towards Burial Mounds. My acting skills are pretty solid. While they go that way, go the opposite direction. I don't know what they'll do to me. Wuxian, please stay safe. -Li Yuqi

          Wei Ying cursed under his breath. "Are they still there?" Sizhui asked. Wen Ning ran towards the window, and peeped his head out. "I see her!" he said. Wei Ying and Lan Zhan towards the window instantly. Yuqi's hands were tied around her back. As Jiang Cheng and Yuqi walked towards the direction of Burial Mounds, it looked as if he was interrogating her with questions. Wei Ying was about to run out, before Lan Zhan grabbed his wrist firmly.

          "Wei Ying." he warned. Wei Ying looked at him in distress. "She's my sister. I can't just let Jiang Cheng harrass her." he wailed. Lan Zhan looked at him firmly. "She's a female. You know Jiang Cheng has a weak spot for females. She will be fine. We need to focus on getting you safely out of here." Just then, Wen Ning let out a gasp. 

          "His eyes..." Wen Ning gasped. "Why are they so black?" Wei Ying's eyes widened. He thought back to when Jiang Cheng had beat him up. At the time, he had thought he was hallucinating, but Jiang Cheng's eyes had looked strange and creepy. Now, he could see him somewhat more clearly. They were almost fully black, with hints of red. Before Lan Zhan could stop him, Wei Ying rushed out of the room.

          "Wei Ying!" Lan Zhan cried, running after his boyfriend, Sizhui and Wen Ning closely following. Wei Ying rushed towards where Jiang Cheng was and used one hand to grab his neck. He used the other hand to search the back of his head.

          "A-Xian!" Yuqi cried. Both Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying froze. That sounded so much like Yanli, he thought, before shaking his head. I have no time to think about Yanli. I must focus on Jiang Cheng. He felt around the back of Jiang Cheng's head. Jiang Cheng lashed around, but thankfully, Lan Zhan and Wen Ning came down just in time to hold him down. At last, Wei Ying found what he was looking for; three lumpy feeling thing. In an instance, Wei Ying was holding three, long, bloody nails in his hand. Wen Ning nearly passed out in shock.

          "These things again." Wei Ying muttered. Wen Ning backed away nervously. "Keep...keep them a-away from-m me, Wei Wuxian-n-n." he stuttered. Meanwhile, Jiang Cheng had fainted. Members of the Jiang Clan came rushing towards their leader. One of them pointed his sword fiercly at Wei Ying.

          "You demon! What did you do to our leader?" he cried. Wei Ying snarled. "After all these years, have you still not learned that everything I do is for good? Jiang Cheng may not think of me has his brother, but I still think of his as mine. Do you see these things?" Wei Ying brought the bloody nails in front of the eyes of the person. "These things were controlling Jiang Cheng. I saved him." he growled. The person quickly lowered his sword and bowed. "Forgive me, Master Wei." he said. "I-I was wrong." Wei Ying lowered the nails. "It's alright. But I don't understand...the only person with access to these is..." Wei Ying trailed off and looked at Lan Zhan.

          "No...it's impossible. He's dead." Wei Ying stuttered. Lan Zhan nodded. "You're right. But..." He paused for a second. "What if Xue Yang had other relatives?" Wei Ying shook his head firmly. "Impossible. Xue Yang had no relatives. That's why since a young age, he had to survive by himself. Who has a grudge on Jiang Cheng?" he pondered. Just then, he felt a cold breeze, and shivered. Seeing this, Lan Zhan embraced him in his arms, and stroked his hair gently. "We can think tomorrow. Let's go back and get some rest for now."

-

          Even though Wei Ying heavily protested, Lan Zhan still carried him back to the inn bridal style. "Lan Zhannnn, how many times do I need to tell you; I'm a grown man, and I don't need to be carried." Lan Zhan pecked his forehead. "You're my baby." Wei Ying felt his cheeks getting hot, but since they were nearly at the inn, he stopped protesting. "Lan Zhan, you're very strong." he said flirtatiously. Lan Zhan felt his neck getting hot, but didn't show any emotion. "I know." he simply stated. Wei Ying brushed Lan Zhan's hair back and adjusted his forehead ribbon. "Your ribbon is crooked again." he said. Lan Zhan let him adjust the ribbon. After all, Wei Ying was his significant other. Other than Wei Ying, Lan Zhan never let anyone else touch his ribbon; not even Xichen and Qiren. 

          After they all arrived at the inn, the 5 of them gathered in Yuqi's room again. "We need to talk about these nails." Wei Ying said. Everyone nodded. Wen Ning turned towards Yuqi. "Lady Yuqi, were you injured?" Yuqi shook her head. "Growing up, I've encountered worse." Wen Ning and Wei Ying looked at the nails again. They both shuddered simultaneously. Seeing this, Lan Zhan was quick to pull Wei Ying into his arms, and he hugged him tightly. At the same time, he gently gave Wen Ning a reasuring pat on the back. Wei Ying let out a sad smile. 

          "Thank you Lan Zhan...For me and Wen Ning...those nails bring back terrible memories." Lan Zhan squeezed him even tighter, until Wei Ying thought he would be compressed into Lan Zhan's body. "Of course." Lan Zhan whispered softly.