Much too tired.

"Mother," Tobias repeated. "We can talk of other things."

"Indeed," Marcus intervened. "We had a telegram earlier about Princess Lauren and her family. They send their warm regards to you, son."

Tobias clenched his jaw. "And why would I possibly care about their regards, father?"

"Hm, I suppose it lies in the fact that they are not aware of..." he glanced up with a conniving smile and hooded eyes. "...Miss Prior."

Beatrice clutched her dress further, the nightmare replaying in her mind.  

Tobias slammed his hand against the table, standing to his feet. "How dare you! Both of you!" 

Evelyn set her drink down. She glanced to her husband, upset with what he had said to them. "Marcus, no more."

"No more?" He laughed, shaking his head. "I do believe I have entertained our son's delusions quite enough, my dear. This child of yours needs to be sent away until he has regained control of his mind!"

Evelyn faltered in her seat, shocked at his words. She had never registered the threats her husband made toward their son until this moment. What seemed like simple fatherly frustration was now concerning. 

Tobias pushed past the chair, pointing his finger to his mother. "You dare ask of us to join you for brunch, all for what?! To harass the woman I love?"

"You do not love her!" Marcus interrupted. 

"You have no right to speak of my feelings!" he roared back.

"No blood of mine will ruin what I have built!" he yelled, gripping the knife in his hand. 

Evelyn widened her eyes and stood, looking at her husband. "Marcus! What are you doing?!"

She looked down at her ring finger as her hands began to shake, realizing then how monstrous of a situation she had created. Instead of toning Marcus' anger down, she had fueled it further.

She could tell, just by the look in his eyes, he longed to do harm to the innocent woman at the table. To their son. 

She covered her mouth with her fingers, trembling.

Marcus glanced down and let the knife glide against his fingers, falling to the table. "I am only speeding up this relentless process," he told her. 

Tobias clenched his fist and turned toward his mother, anger bubbling out of him. With a betrayed heart, he sneered at her. "What process?!"

Evelyn's breath hitched at the sight of her son's betrayed expression. She knew then how much she had wronged him in tricking him into believing she wanted to do right by his relationship. Watching his relentless defense only awoke the part of her that she was trying desperately to bury.

The part of her that wanted Tobias' happiness above anything else. Above the money, the titles, or the reputation. 

"Tobias, please allow me to explain!" she cried out suddenly before turning to her husband. "Do not speak so freely, Marcus! We had agreed-"

"Agreed on what?!" the prince demanded.

"A month, another month - when will it end?!" Marcus yelled. 

"It was wrong!" she admitted, her hand pressed to her chest. "This was all wrong! Think of our son!"

Tobias slammed his hand against the table once more. "I have grown tired of your constant meddling in my life!"