Arc 9

Arc 9

Ch. 1 Final Exam

Sebas

One month passes since the day I arrived at the Teagon capitol. A lot has happened between now and then but currently I am in a private sparring room with William, Zorlo, a smartly dressed Lilith, and my family.

"I was angry when we sparred for the first time." William says, "I heard much about the magus initiate. When we met, I had high expectations. Then you let me down. I thought you were holding back to mock me. But then I realize how hard you were trying to learn how to fight without using magic as a crutch. Since then, I've been eager to see what you are truly capable of, even more so after you survived so many assassinations."

"I hate to tell you," I lowered my body to battle position while I had my wooden sword strapped to my back. "I will still be holding back so I don't kill you."

William laughed. "A strange form for a swordsman, but fitting for a man who tamed the dire panthers." He took his stance. "Give me your best, young prince."

"Don't die." I leap at him as fast as I can and swing at him from his blind spot.

He's faster than I expected and blocked it.

But that is just my opening move as I swing my foot around. He raises his arm to block it I use an air burst on my foot to get it into his guard. I thought I had him, but William didn't become a monster by being easily to take down. With minimal motion he pulled his head back and countered with the same arm.

I double burst with my free hand and other foot and I'm able to avoid it by launching myself at the ground.

I land on my back. Hard. I already have my feet up and I fire an air cannon with both feet.

He is only launched back about a yard and a half and still lands on his feet.

"Very impressive, prince. But you are still holding too much back." William said. "Maybe this will help."

The hairs on the back of my neck spike as I feel his bloodlust. He swings his sword with such force that it cuts the air. I barely make it out of the way and when I check there is a long gash along the ground. I'd compare it to wind slash, but this is in a league of its own. Instead of condensing the air to split things apart when it expands, it splits the air with sheer force powered by raw magic to create a vacuum. In other words, instead of cutting the air it's like he is tearing a hole in space.

I seem to be forgetting that those that can't use traditional magic can channel it in a fundamentally different way when they practice martial skills.

I land on my butt when I dodge it.

"HAHAHAH, You were actually trying to kill me!" I don't know why I'm laughing but I can't help how exhilarating this is.

"No holding back, prince. Or you will be the one dying. Underestimating your opponent will get you killed just as fast as an ambush. Consider this your last lesson."

"HaaaaaaHAHA," I stand and brush off my butt. "Zorlo! It's about to get dangerous in here!"

"Don't let me down!" Zorlo begins chanting a barrier spell.

"There, no more holding back." I say. Then I wink into the air and keep my distance.

William takes chase and is able to close the gap faster than I expected and sends me flying into the wall.

I take a deep breath with air magic after the wind is knocked out of me. A blue fox fire ball appears in front of my mouth. With an ear shattering bark, I summon lightning and cast "Shout".