Nineteen - A Sad Day

A//N
I just reread some of the earlier chapters in this book and had the worst cringe fest of my life. I think I was a sophomore in high school when I started this? It was like 3 years ago haha. I didn't plan things out very well so some things were confusing and repetitive which I apologize for >.<

[Rio's POV]

Not every day is full of sunshine and rainbows. I have bad days too.

He found me in my dark room, bundled up in a pile of blankets. I didn't want to move.

"Kitten?" Jasper whispered from the side of the bed, wanting to know if I was okay.

"Go away," was all he heard from me, then silence. I heard a soft sigh before some other things, like a glass being put down and a door being shut. I creeped out and noticed that there was a mug on my bedside table, in it was my favorite hot chocolate that Jasper always makes me. I gave a weak smile before escaping back under the blankets.

[Jasper's POV]

I slowly shut the door, a saddened look on my face. As I got downstairs, I passed Rio's mother, Rachel.

"He'll be okay, I promise," she told me, a warm smile on her face.

"Why is he like this?" I asked, wanting to know why my precious mate was in so much pain.

"Come, sit." She walked over to the couch and patted the spot next to her, which I took. "Rioko is a tough kid on the outside, but he has trouble expressing his inner feelings. He hates making people worry about him, so he closes himself off. I'm not surprised that he hasn't told you. My husband, Rioko's father, passed away when Rioko was still just a kitten, about ten years old. Rioko was very close to him, would tell him everything. The Cheetah in Rioko, he got it from his father."

I sat there in silence, taking everything in. As a wolf, I knew how painful it was to lose a family member, the entire pack was basically family.

"I understand if you're frustrated in a way," she continued. "You three are so close, but you're only learning this now." She put a hand on my shoulder, noticing the tension.

"No, I too have things I'd rather not show him. His father, what happened to him?" I asked, knowing that I'd get more details if I ask her.

"Our families are from the mountains, mostly leopards. He took Rioko to visit his grandparents for the first time. While running an errand for his father, my husband lost control of the vehicle." She choked on her words, unable to continue even after all these years.

"You don't have to continue, this is a sad day for you as well." I took her in my arms, trying my best to comfort her.

"Thank you Jasper, you and Tristan have made such a positive impact on my baby. He's able to relax more, he seems happier." She smiled her usual kind smile before getting up. "Alright! Things need to be done!" She threw her arms up in the air in a stretch before leaving the room. I knew what I had to do as his mate.

I hesitated before knocking on his door and opening it, knowing that I wouldn't get a response if I said anything. I noticed that the mug was nearly empty once I got close enough to the bed, which made me smile. I sat on the edge of the bed, staring at the lump of blankets that was my mate.

"Kitten, it's me. I'm not going away," I said before he could tell me to. "Your mother, she told me what happened." Silence. I sighed before I attempted to find an opening in the blankets so I could slither my way in with him. I happened to find one and before Rio could protest, I already had my arms around him. "I'm here, Tristan will be here later. I won't let you go through this alone." Suddenly all I could feel and hear was shaking and sobbing and my mate wrapping his arms around me. I held him close, never wanting to let go.

A//N
I'm sorry for such a sad and short chapter T_T but I've been planning on writing this chapter for a long time now. I went back to earlier chapters to see if I ever made the mistake of mentioning his dad, don't think I did? If any of you find any let me know cause my plan was to not mention him until I wrote this chapter >.<