"i really am special, huh?"

Start from the beginning

"I was lost," I explained, which caused him to laugh. "Did I bring my purse in here last night?" I asked, suddenly becoming worried that I had left my things someplace else.

"I think I dropped it by the door," Luke said, and then excused himself to go and look. I looked around Luke's kitchen and continued to be amazed by his apartment. I thought Madalyn and I had a nice apartment, but ours looked like nothing compared to his. "Here you go." I thanked Luke as he handed me my purse and passed me to walk to his fridge. I pulled my phone from my purse and was surprised to see the amount of notifications that I had. "Do you want coffee?"

"Yeah, that would be great."

Most of the notifications were just texts from Madalyn and Jenna declaring their excitement for me, but demanding more details as soon as I could give them. Other than texts from them, I had one from my older brother and two from a colleague of mine.

I opened the texts from my colleague and my eyes slowly widened as I read the contents.

I was an editor for an online publication site that focused on current news and gossip. We were a fairly new company, and I was a fairly new staff member. I wrote the occasional article, but my main priority was to edit other articles. I had started this job after finding myself bored with waiting around for modeling gigs to pop up; I had never had the best agent, so my career was going nowhere.

Our company's location allowed us to cover various types of things, but one part of our company was a YouTube channel that hosted interviews with anyone we could book, really. Sometimes they were indie performers, but sometimes we got big names, too.

I had just been asked by a colleague to step in for an interview with 5 Seconds of Summer at one o'clock on Monday.

"Fuck—"

"What?" Luke looked over at me as I cursed and my heart raced as I looked over at him.

"Uh—do you have an interview on Monday?" I cut to the chase and Luke laughed strangely as he slowly nodded his head.

"That's the plan," he told me with a nod of his head. "We've never interviewed with the company before, but we thought it was a good idea because we're promoting our new album and wanted to hit a larger variety of audiences."

"It's funny, actually... uh—" I looked down at the text again before responding and hesitated to tell Luke that I could possibly be the person interviewing him.

I had been interested in interviewing for a couple weeks now and had told my boss that if there was ever a chance for me to try new things within the company, that I would be happy to stay flexible. This was a big deal for me, so I wanted to do it. I didn't want to tell Luke and have him advise me to refuse the offer.

"My friend just texted me saying that she heard you were doing an interview... uh—she loves your music." I placed my phone down on the counter in front of me after texting back to say that I would love to fill in. Although I was keeping something from Luke, I also wasn't entirely lying—5 Seconds of Summer happened to be one of Madalyn's favorite bands. "Which is crazy since you're just some guy I met at a club last night." Luke chuckled softly, and didn't seem to be suspicious of my cover-up. Part of me felt lousy for not telling him, but I was hoping I could explain myself later if he had an issue with it.

So what if we would have to see each other one more time before he could forget about me?

"Ever had a guy make you breakfast the morning after?" Luke asked me after we shared a couple of moments of silence. He had poured me a cup of coffee and I asked for some sugar before taking the mug from him.