Chapter 8

Grace

"I am leaving in ten minutes." I tell Martha when we meet in the office while I am updating the patient files after the last round. I had discharged four of my patients earlier this morning, just in time for us to receive another lot of patients who had arrived from another hospital in London. Luckily the hospital sent their files as well which made it a lot easier for us because it meant that we did not have to run exams again.

But I was done for the day because this Wednesday I had my afternoon off, which was something I was looking forward for a long time. Martha was also leaving for today and she was going shopping for stockings with some other girls.

Unfortunately I wasn't going to spend my day off it the way I wanted because I was going to meet up with Calvin in a few minutes. I was not looking forward to this encounter because I knew he wouldn't react very well to what I was about to do. But it has to be done, and it is better to do it now than later.

"You can do this, don't let him talk you out of it." Martha gives me a piece of valuable advice and I thank her for that.

Yesterday when our shift ended and we went to our small bedroom to rest, I told her about my unpleasant encounter with Calvin. She was so angry at him for showing up here without notice, she found it disrespectful. I'm glad they did not meet yesterday because I'm sure Martha would have a few not so nice words to tell him.

"Thank you." I give her a quick hug, before storing away the files for the next nurse who is covering my patients as well. "I am just going to check up on everyone and then I will leave. See you later tonight?"

"Sure, I managed to sneak out a small bottle of whiskey. It's not much but at least it is something." Martha keeps her voice low and I giggle with her.

Supposedly we are not allowed to drink, but there are always ways to get around the rules, and Martha had some useful connections. Last time she managed to bring a bottle of sweet wine and we both got a little tipsy with other two girls from our course. It was such a relaxed and fun night, just what we need after the stressful days we have here. If my parents knew I did this, they would kill me.

I decide to remove my uniform because technically I wouldn't be doing any more work with the patients. I go into the changing room taking out my white uniform of the red cross, replacing it with a dark blue dress which was just under the knee length, and hold the beige coat in my hands, as well as the matching hat. It is too warm inside to wear it. Because I left my house in such a hurry I couldn't bring all my dresses, so I had only a few outfits with me. Not that I needed them, I spend most of my time in my uniform anyway.

As I said before leaving, I go through the ward of the hospital where I have spent most of my time in. I pass through Ben who is sleeping softly, probably due to the effect of the pain killers. I make my way through the beds and I finally reach the last ones, where bed number four is. As expected, Harry was wide awake and smiled instantly when he saw me standing at the end of the bed.

"I thought you weren't coming to say goodbye." He was laying down, and not sitting as usual. His right arm was now resting on top of his chest, and his head comfortably against the pillow.

After what happened yesterday, I kept my conversation to Harry to a minimum. He tried to talk to me, but I only asked him medical questions. However, this did not seem to affect him at all as he continued to show interest in talking to me, not giving up. "I know I shouldn't have said anything, but blokes like your boyfriend annoy me."

"Not everyone is able to fight in a war like this." I am not defending Calvin, I am only defending those who manage to stay away from the war because they are too afraid to fight. I have a younger brother and I will do everything to keep him away from it because I don't want him to die in this war.