Chapter 33

Harry

I have been looking for my darling for almost ten hours and I still haven't found her.

There was no sign of her anywhere, no matter how much we look.

I had managed to get quite a big group to find her. Thankfully the hospital wasn't too busy at this point because it meant some of the nurses could come and help us on the search as well. Also, most of the soldiers who were healthier wanted to join us and help us find Grace. In total, we were twenty people looking for Grace, and we had spread around the area of the hospital to find her. 

But there was no sign of her.

Charlie was at this moment being interrogated by one of the captains who volunteered to help us in this case. However, I'm sure Charlie won't show any remorse or even say where Grace his. The way he spoke about her was full of hatred, and all because Grace doesn't love him. How crazy can a man be to think this way? Nothing he said made any sense, I just hope he is punished for what he did to my darling.

If he had at least given us a hint to where Grace might be it would be much easier. But now we have been looking for hours and my hopes of finding her alive and well were getting smaller each hour that passed. The nights in October get extremely cold, and if she was only wearing her nurse uniform then she would be freezing at this point. Besides, without anything to drink for almost a day, she must be severely dehydrated.

Grace where are you my darling?

"Harry you need to rest, you are exhausted." I had been awake for the past twenty-four hours but I didn't feel tired at all. Sleep was not even an option for me now. How was I supposed to sleep when I knew that the love of my life was somewhere in the middle of the woods, cold, lost, and afraid? Just the thought of it makes my heart ache.

I just want to find her. I just want this nightmare to end.

"I'm going to find her." I say to Ben who had been with me the whole time. We had split into small teams to make it easier to cover a bigger area in less time. Us and the other soldiers were looking in the area which was closer to the German-occupied territory because it would be too dangerous to send Grace's friends here.

Ben was visibly tired, but I knew he wasn't going to give up as well. He cared so much for my Grace, we were all family. "We are going to find her." I nod feeling tears forming on my eyes.

I have no idea how much I have cried over the last hours but I cried a lot. I had just found my Grace again after three years apart, and now the world decided to take her from me again. How cruel is that?

All I wanted was to find her and take her away from here.

"What if they caught her?" I ask biting my lip trying to hold back my tears as we walk further into the woods.

My biggest fear was that the Germans had found her first then us. It is known what they do to young women, the atrocities they do to them make my stomach turn. Just the thought of my Grace suffering on their hands breaks my heart. 

"I'm sure they didn't. Let's not think the worst, Harry." Ben tried to calm me down but I know that he is thinking the same thing, he will just not admit it to me. He is a good friend.

We had stopped the truck a few miles south from where we are standing. It is dark outside, the sun won't rise for another two hours. I'm cold, I'm tired and I'm devastated. The German camping site is just a few miles west from here and we are in a vulnerable position. If they find us here, we are dead.