Chapter 20

Courtney had packed her bags there and then with little to no conversation. There was not much left for us to say at this point.

I offered to help but she amicably declined, claiming there was nothing more that I could do at this point.

"Do you want to keep this?" She turned around, showing me a stuffed bear that I had won for her at a fair. We had named it 'Beer' after finding the funny typo that was on his label on his left foot claimed he was a 'stuffed beer'.

We had shared custody of him and this week, it had been my time.

I felt a sting in my heart as this was happening. Courtney had done nothing wrong and because of my infatuation towards Ariana, I had doubted her and thought her of doing the worst.

"It's probably best you find someone who can really appreciate you for the kind natured woman you really are." I ignored answering her question and instead spilled my heart out to her.

"Please don't play that card, 'it's not you, it's me'. I don't want to hear it." She said rolling her eyes and placing Beer back where she had found him. "I'm just sorry I let myself think that you would ever grow out of your stupid crush over her." She said, clearly referring to Ariana.

I saw her zip up her bag hinting that she was finished and it was time to leave.

"I'm really sorry this is how things turned out." I said to her, genuinely heartbroken that I caused all of this.

"I'm sorry too." I was really caught by surprise when she turned to hug me. The hug was quick and impersonal, but I wasn't expecting it to be any other way. "Take care of yourself and your mom." She said turning away and heading out of my bedroom. I followed her all the way to the front door and saw her out, not being able to say anything else.

I saw her car drive away into the distance, not sure if I ever was going to see her ever again.

The day went by fast and I did not recall at all what I had done for the past couple of hours.

Weirdly enough, I had not cried at all, I felt more relieved than any other feeling, and part of me felt guilty for not having more feelings towards the whole situation.

It was funny how Ariana broke my heart more, knowing her for such a little time, than Courtney, after a few months.

I heard my phone buzz at a distance. It was sat on the kitchen counter. I hadn't even remembered placing it there at all as I was so lost in my thoughts the whole day.

I walked over to the kitchen and reached for my phone. It showed that I had a few messages. Strange, because I had no recollection of hearing it buzz earlier on. I must have been really out of it.

Flipping over to the lock screen, it showed that I had 3 text messages. I also noticed that my background was of Courtney and I. I made a mental note that this was going to have to change soon.

I had one text from Dominique and two from Ariana.