Chapter 2

We went to grab a quick bite to eat at this place Ariana knew downtown. She had the vegan option and I had a really good burger. I felt kind of bad eating that right in front of her, but she had reassured me that it was okay, it was just a personal reason for her.

We had spent at least 2 hours just talking and getting to know each other. It was truly a great thing. She was a wholesome person with such a big heart. We had also talked about sadder subjects like the attacks, her difficult relationships, loss. It was really refreshing to be able to have such deep and meaningful conversations with someone.

"...It was really fucking hard coming out of my previous relationship but it was for the best. We ended up separating on good terms." Ariana told me.

"Yeah that must have not been easy for you. But it's good that you're on the road to getting yourself back together." I said as she did seem genuinely happy talking about Pete. Which was sightly bothering. Actually, more than slightly.

I was aware that I was a terrible friend as I felt jealous of how his girlfriend was talking about him wishing I was the one she was talking about with such happiness in her voice.

Fuck. My mind was fucked.

"How about you? Any boyfriend?" She asked.

Well, how to put this...?

"No girlfriend, no."

"Oh." She simply say and paused. "I..sorry...I just assumed. Pete never mentioned..."

"That I was swinging for the same team?" I laughed. I was open about my sexuality and I didn't get who knew or didn't. Life was too short to hide away.

"That's cool though. Guess I have no reasons to be jealous of you anymore then." She said jokingly.

Oh, definitely no way. Pete had more reasons to be jealous of me right now though.

I offered a laugh, although I was not really amused about this sentence as it reminded me once again for the 20th time today that she was dating my best friend.

"I should hook you up." She winked at me. "Got lots of single beautiful friends."

Yeah, but none of them are you, Ariana.

My heart was having a full blown conversation in silence with Ariana while my brain was reacting the way it should and pretending like this was a good idea.

Although, maybe it would get my mind off of Ariana. Maybe it would be a good thing. I was getting rusty at dating anyways.

"Why not?" I simply said.

"Pete and I are going on a date tomorrow, I'll see if my friend is available and I will hook you up. I got you." She said pulling out her phone and texting her friend, I supposed.

If only she did have me...the literal sense of that sentence.

I realised that her being at the date too would not help me trying to get "over" her.

"I think you'll like her. Her name is Courtney." Ariana showed me a picture of them together. She was quite cute. But she was not Ariana.

"Cool. What time tomorrow?" I asked

"Hold on," she laughed "She didn't even respond yet. I know you can't wait to see her but be patient." She teased. I was not amused. Suddenly I regretted that decision. How was I supposed to function and focus on my date when Ariana would be there looking like she did?

"Courtney is my best friend." 

I froze at that simple sentence. This shit was going to get real serious if I ended up breaking her best friend's heart.