Chapter 19

I saw Courtney's car pull up into my driveway and for once, her coming over was causing me to panic. I was terrified, angry and so confused about what she was doing and lying to me.

After rekindling our friendship, Ariana and I had hung out most of the rest of that day. Tayla and Njomza also acted a bit friendlier towards me but I could tell they were keeping their guards up. I got to see them work in the studio and Ariana also asked if I could help around with some rearrangements. I was thrilled to be able to help her out.

It was an absolutely lovely day overall, filled with champagne, laughter and creativity. I had missed her presence in my life and was glad we had worked things out.

But now I was not glad that I had to confront Courtney.

I heard the door opening and my heart was pounding out of my chest. I heard a bag being placed down on the floor.

"Where's my warm welcome back?" She asked in an amused tone of voice, turning the corner and appearing at the living room doorway.

She must have sensed that something was wrong as her expression changed from amused to serious.

I was so nervous and was bottling all my questions inside.

"What's wrong?" She stepped up to me and pulled me into a hug. I flinched, involuntarily at her touch, which caused her to step away and look intensely at me trying to figure out what was going on. "Is your mom okay?" Her expression was now worried.

"She's fine." I could only reply back to her, coldly.

"Okay, well then why does it look like you've just received the worst news ever?" She asked, still trying to figure me out.

"Are you cheating on me?" I blurted out, my brain clearly on overload and needing to release.

"What the fuck?!" Courtney raised her voice in disbelief and annoyance. "Where the fuck is this coming from?" She crossed her arm on her chest.

"This last minute change to 'Heather's place' from Canada, without telling me. You also sounded so incredibly nervous on the phone when talking to me."

"How is this any indicative that I am cheating on you? Where the hell would you get that idea from?" Her stance was stiff and she was furious. Her face was growing slightly redder with each passing moment. She was pacing very angrily back and forth.

"You never went to Ariana's tour with Alexa. Ariana hasn't even been on tour at all." I decided to expose this bit of information that I had recently found out.

Suddenly Courtney froze in her tracks and I saw her go pale.

"How do you know she hasn't been touring? You don't even follow her." She raised her eyebrows a she turned to face me.

"I did my research." I half lied, not wanting to tell her that Ariana was back in town in case it would cause danger to Ariana.

"You're lying to me. You've always lied about Ariana." She shook her head incredulously as she sighed at what I had just said.

Now it was my turn to get metaphorically slapped across the face. This was going to come up and I was going to have to come clean on my part about the story.

She turned to face me and a smirk made her way on her face. Not that nice playful smirk that people usually make. No, this was a smirk filled with venom and bad intentions behind it.

"You think I don't know? You think I'm stupid?" She asked stepping slowly towards me. I was not liking this Courtney and this was definitely a side that I had not expected to see from her. She was very threatening and I did not like it one bit.