Chapter 11

"..and that's when I found Y/N inside this empty plastic bin with a swing lid pretending to be an astronaut." My mom told this embarrassing childhood stories about me to Ariana and Dominique as they all laughed at my creative childhood imagination that was being made fun of by untrained eyes.

"In my defence...It really looked like an astronaut helmet at the age of 5" I said as I poked a piece of scrambled eggs with my fork from the plate.

I had told Dominique and my mom that Ariana had stayed over after a fight with Pete and that she just needed someone to talk to and not be alone. Which was true but they didn't know about me sleeping with my best friend's girlfriend. Well, ex best friend.

They had both not questioned it at all and instead offered Ariana a shoulder to cry on and that this door would always be opened for her.

My mom had been good so far and I had recalled more than usual, which eased the tension around the place. Ariana had been lovely and all of them were getting along so well.

"You were always a weird ass kid anyway." Dominique said matter of factly which caused Ariana to burst out laughing.

"Yo, she's still a weird ass kid though." Ariana said and Dominique went for a high five.

"You're supposed to be on my side Dominique." I said as I pushed my plate away from me in fake frustration. "At least you're defending me, mom." I said to my mom turning to her.

She looked at me and smiled.

"I think I'll have to take Dominique and Anna's side on this one." She said laughing.

"Ariana." Dominique nicely corrected my mom.

"Yeah that's what I said." She said very sure of herself.

I cleared my throat and started to gather the plates.

"In any case, I'll remember that you have all turned your back on me. You're all a bunch of Judases." I said putting the dishes in the washer, in a serious tone but clearly joking.

"Save your bitching for when it matters, Jesus." Dominique teased me, I laughed and Ariana joined in as well.

"I like you." Ariana said as she turned to Dominique. Dominique pulled her into a hug.

"Why in God's name are you with Pete when you have this wannabe Jesus astronaut right here." She said pointing to me. I blushed, Dominique was putting me on the spot.

"Y/N is not into girls." My mom spoke up from the table a bit confused. Dominique and Ariana looked over at me, a bit panicked.

I looked at my mom and wasn't sure if I should remind her about the discussion we had. This was the second time in a row it was happening and I was afraid that she had totally forgotten.

"I am mom." I gently said in order not to put too much pressure on her.

My mom furrowed her brows in frustration and confusion. The worst part is that she was aware that she was forgetting things. She was starting to slightly panic again. Dominique stood up and made her way to my mom.

"Come on, let's go for a walk, get some fresh air would be perfect and the girls can clean up in the meantime." Dominique said, looking at us at the last bit hinting that they would both leave together.

I suddenly realised the look in my mom's eyes were different. My heart dropped.

"Y/N, go get your father, I'm sure he would love to go for a walk too." I felt Ariana take my hand and squeeze it gently.

I bit my tongue as Dominique took my mom by the arm and led her to the front door and finally outside.

"I'm really sorry." She almost whispered to me. I was fighting back tears, but I didn't want to cry.