49. Getting To Know Neytiri

Start from the beginning

"It's is against sacred laws for male to do female's painting for joining clan, I explain why as I paint." Neytiri said, sitting. I frowned but followed her, sitting carefully so as to not scrape my healing wound on the wood and stone below us. I watched as she dipped her fingers in the paint, her her hands out to my arms, which I held out. The paint was cold on my skin but I didn't commento n that.

"Becoming one of The People is seen as becoming man, or becoming woman, you are not grown till you do. After ceremony, you are one of The People, you are grown, you are woman, and can be chosen as mate by males." She said, making me frown at that. She looked at my frown and laughed.

"No worry, Hetibay, male can choose you, but only if you agree. You are not forced. But it is seen as wrong for male to paint female before ceremony, that be why I here." Neytiri said, painting up my arms in unique patterns.

"Good, because the people I was once a part of were big on consent." I said softly. She looked up curiously before looking back at the paint.

"Tsu'tey talk lot of your people you speak of, I never seen him interested in Sky People so much, except for at end of bow." Neytiri said conversationally, continuing the paint up my arms.

I blinked, "Really? I mean, I talk of the place that was once my home, the culture there and what my clan believed in, but I always thought he was bored when I talked about it, or annoyed." I said, shocked. I watched Neytiri's face closely, seeing her roll her eyes and an amused grin rise to her face.

What the heck is that all about?

"You seem to not notice Tsu'tey change since you came to Hometree. He no longer prideful like before, he be more kind, more caring. You change him much. Yes, he like learning about your clan, find it interesting. You tell me some?" She asked curiously as she painted up my shoulder. I looked at her confusion.

"Uh... sure. Well... my people's beliefs are not that different from Omaticaya. We just believe in different All Mother's. Eywa is the energy that runs through every plant, every animal and tree, where as The Great Mother Eagle is the spirit of all eagles that fly overhead, she is not directly tied to everything, so she depends on us to restore the land." I said, Neytiri looking at me interestedly.

"She depend on you to make right choice?" Neytiri said, and I feel like this relates to something Neytiri is having a problem with by the emotion in her voice. I looked at Neytiri closely before deciding to answer her honestly.

"It goes both ways. We depend on The Great Mother Eagle to defend and protect our waters, our valley, and keep that small piece of nature living, while she depends on us to go outside those walls and try to restore the rest of Earth. She is big on choice, so she sends one member, one of strong and pure heart, as message in their dreams. We call these Spirit Quests. She sent me one." I said wistfully, before shaking my head, "Then, after the dream, she lets us decide if we wish to step outside our Valley and fulfilled the message she sent us or not. Only once she approves can one leave TULTE." I said honestly, watching Neytiri, a myriad of emotions running across her face before he expression went blank.

"Neytiri, are you okay? Should I have not said anything on my people? If it makes you uncomfortable I'm sorr-" I began to say, when she shushed me, more like hissed actually, but she was smiling.

"No, Hetibay, you just help me think of problem, I thank you." Neytiri said, continuing to paint up my shoulders and to my face. I watched the fire as Neytiri painted in silence for a while. My mind flew over Neytiri's words of how Na'vi males can now ask me to be their mate. None of them are ever going to get a yes from me, I don't have long to live anyways.

Plus... deep down, I know my heart belong to Proud Scowl, but I also know he can never return it, and I can never let him know that he already owns my damaged heart, it already sit's in his hands, yet he can never know.

And that hurts.

"I know look, I see it in myself." Neytiri said out of nowhere, making me blink and look at her.

"What?" I asked, my voice a bit hoarse of the emotions that rose, I cleared my throat, embarrassed. Neytiri just smiled softly.

"We talk more in future? We have one thing in common." Neytiri said conversationally after my embarrassment went down. I looked at her in pure confusion, not understanding this Na'vi woman at all.

"What?" I asked in confusion again, watching her. She looked up at me with sad eyes.

"Knowing this," she said, hovering a hand over my heart, making my eyes widen, "Belong to one who can never return this." Neytiri said, looking me in the eye.

My breathing sped in panic. Oh no, oh no, by The Great Mother Eagle, how did she find me out? How? I was very discrete, hid my actions well to make sure no one ever thought I felt anything more than friendship towards Tsu'tey. I stared at Neytiri with wide, horrified eyes because she clearly knows who I have feelings for. Even worse than that, it's her future mate, which makes things a hundred times worse.

Neytiri dropped her hand, smiling as I breathed quickly in my fear. I bet Neytiri has every right to kill me for having feelings for her future mate. I am going to lose my Avatar body now aren't I?

"Calm, Hetibay, you not only one who have feelings to one you cannot be with." Neytiri said, smiling sadly. I stared at her with wide eyes as I slowed my breathing.

"How... How did you know?" I breathed, terrified to confirm it to her but I needed to know what mistake I made.

Neytiri's sad smile became much more sad and hurt, I stared at her, feeling her pain. It is the same pain I feel. "I know because look be same as mine. You look, but never let him see. I do same. I feel same. I know same pain." Neytiri said, finishing off my belly and moving to my face.

"Jake?" I questioned. Neytiri's eyes met mine sadly, and I understood. Neytiri knew exactly how I feel. She loves Jake, but is promised to Tsu'tey. I love Tsu'tey, but he is destined to be mates with Neytiri. And both men don't even know the turmoil Neytiri and I feel. What a confusing mess the four of us make. I don't think you could even call this a love triangle, unless you threw in Tom Sully, but he's dead.

"What you see in Tsu'tey? You two insult like enemies, not friends." Neytiri said, pulling the conversation away from the problem we both suffer.

I snorted, "At first, I insulted him because he did the same, he hated that I am a Sky Walker so much there were times those first few days I thought he really was about to kill me or something. After that it sort of because a normal thing. He insulted me for falling or messing up in a new lesson and I insulted him for calling me such things. Now it's just... sort of what we do, no longer holds menace, it's just..." I struggled to think of a way to describe it that would make sense to Neytiri.

"Like me roll eyes at Jhake, or time I pushed him off into river because he annoy?" Neytiri said brightly, making me chuckle.

"Ya, that's about it." I said in amusement.

Neytiri finished off the last of the paint on my face, smiling before putting a hand not covered in paint on my shoulder.

"After today, we be sisters among The People. If you need ear, I be here." Neytiri said, making me smile. I never had a sister before, the thought fills me with warmth.

I placed a hand on her shoulder, "It's the same here as well, Neytiri, You ever need me to listen? I'm here." I said, making Neytiri smile before she stood, picking up the bowls of paint and looking at the fire before looking at me.

"Teacher get right to give student present before ceremony. I go find Tsu'tey." Neytiri said, nodding to me.

"Neytiri, I really don't think he care-" I tried to say, but Neytiri was already out the door. I huffed in annoyance before chuckling and shaking my head.

I wonder if this is what it feels like to have a sister.

Okay, ya, I know, I planned for the ceremony to be in this chapter but this was way more fun. But, ya, ceremony will be in the next chapter, promise.

Enjoy!