Earth Mode ON: ELEVEN

We were like fallen angels; we had to suffer for something we had no fault in, something that was out of our control

We were like fallen angels; we had to suffer for something we had no fault in, something that was out of our control. I always believed that everything happened for a reason. Whether we thought that reason was good or not, it didn't matter. It never did actually. Throughout my life, I had to see things change drastically, had to go through the phase of accepting changes without knowing why I had to I deal with them. Both Taehyung and I couldn't understand why everything had to go upside down that way, especially that it was the first time our country had to go through such an extreme series of disasters.

First, the main tsunami hit, transforming our once modernized country into nothing but muddy, grassy lands with nothing to carry but contaminated, salty water and building debris.

Second, another strong earthquake hit causing the already contaminated tsunami water to overflow from the roads and onto the muddy land, washing more objects and people along with it.

Third, a relatively minor earthquake (which we desperately hoped to be the last) occurred, causing cracks to appear on the surface of the ground and sped up the water that flowed in what were previously called roads.

I didn't know how many humans died by the end of the third disaster, but I was sure that they were many. If the third earthquake had killed most of the remaining survivors, then I sure did feel thankful for being alive. Thinking about it that way helped me feel better about myself and about life in general, how it didn't give up on me despite the fact that it gave my heart a sudden strong blow. I considered myself to be extremely lucky and so all I wished for was to remain that way.

I rested my back against the trunk that Taehyung was sleeping on, my eyes finding nothing special to look at but my friends: the stars. To me, there was nothing more beautiful at that moment other than sitting there, enjoying the wind and the view of the night sky while having Taehyung's cute, faint snores sound like a whole, sweet melody.

The wind was gentle, blowing against my irritated skin as softly as possible and acting as the cue to my hair to start swaying on my cheeks which played the role of the polished floors of a ball, except that my cheeks weren't polished at all.

I felt like something moved to my right, so I rotated my head slightly only to find Taehyung's arm dangling from the trunk, his long, thin fingers touching the edge of the grass. A slight smile formed on my face at seeing him sleep so peacefully. He seemed too tired to me, so the fact that he was finally resting made me feel something very indescribable, something you could only feel and not describe with mere words.

"You are so nice," I heard Chung Ae suddenly say, catching me off guard.

"Oh, it's you," I replied with relief.