Chapter 9

I once said that working at Mer-Chocolate was entertaining, but added that it wasn't exactly my thing to laugh at people.

Well, today was a bit different.

Noah entered the cafe with a girl.

It was the funniest thing in the world when he stood there with a sour look on his face just because he saw me.

But I thought that he was more handsome than usual, even with his sour face. Then a second later, I was mad at myself for thinking about his appearance and not his personality- which was not my cup of tea.

As they waited in line, I noticed that he didn't say a word since he walked in. She was doing all the talking.

And if you ask me, she was also touching him way too much and her laugh was annoying just like him.

"Hey, what would you like to order?" I used my sweet tone on them once they reached me, ready to order.

"I will talk a burger," he said, and by the look on his face, I thought that he will leave his girlfriend to order without him.

"We don't have any burgers here. It's a cafe," I rolled my eyes and fought a smile.

"Do you want me to order a salad?" he snapped at me, not satisfied with the fact that he has to talk to me outside of school hours.

"As far as I know, I don't force you to order anything," I smiled while he glared at me hatefully.

"I will take the salad," the girl next to him broke the tension between us.

Her beautiful blonde hair was smooth and shiny, almost as beautiful as her big blue eyes.

She was nothing like me.

"Sure," I looked back at him, giving him the last chance.

"I will take the tuna sandwich."

Finally.

"Anything to drink?"

"I will have the chocolate milkshake," as soon as these words left her mouth, I felt bad for her. Our chocolate milkshake was a total disaster. 

Was I going to tell her about it? No. 

"You?" I turned to face him, the sour look was still present on his face.

"Just water," he told me bitterly.

"Okay, it will take about ten minutes."

Little did I know that eleven minutes later, Noah will push aside all the people waiting in line just to take my wrist forcefully and drag me outside of the cafe.

"What did you think to yourself?" he pointed at me while I noticed his clenched jaw and burning eyes. I took a step back in pure confusion.

"You had no right to poison my water," he stated, this time pulling his hair back in anger.

"What are you talking about, Noah?"

"How bad did you want to see me puke in front of all these people?" he screamed, reminding me of my father. My heart started to beat faster, the sweat began to form on my forehead.

"What?" he searched my eyes for answers. I provided him with the pure truth, which he refused to take.

"Go back to your drunk old daddy and tell him that his daughter turned out to be just like him."

I was holding my tears like my life was on the line. I do everything in my power to prove to myself that I am nothing like my father. Yet he has to break me with his words only.

He doesn't even know me.

"I think you should leave," my voice broke, but I didn't let any sort of emotion to show on my features.

It was a good thing to lower my expectations after all because he left the second I told him to.

My blood boiled. I took a deep breath before I walked back to the cafe.

I hate him. I hate him more than I hate the fact that my phone is dead.

And that alone tells enough.

~~~~~~~~~

I tried avoiding him at all costs for the following week.

He didn't show up on Monday, making my task of avoiding him an easy task. But on Tuesday, I had to skip the free period class. I, Skylar Gray, skipped a class for the first time in my life. Because of a guy, and not in a good way.

My father gave me some peace. My mother was still hiding things from me, and Jacob was excited about his soccer practice on Sunday, as always.

That week flew by, and I found myself standing at the same place at the same time- 7:30 at Mer-Chocolate.

I spent three hours taking orders from random people, forcing a smile. I was tired and mostly mad.

He accused me of something I didn't do and had the nerve to compare me to my father.

I typed a women's order on the screen in front of me and moved my gaze from the screen to the next person in line.

My heart was beating hard in my chest when I saw Noah and a (different) girl standing there, waiting for me to talk, and get their order.

As I was trying to find the words, Noah pierced me with his gaze, and I burnt him with mine.

"What would you like to order?" I forced a smile for the hundredth time this week.

"Tuna sandwich for me," he said lowly and turned to look at his new girlfriend.

"I will take the salad," her voice was even more irritating than his last girlfriend's voice.

And what exactly is the point of going to a restaurant and order a salad? Where is the fun and calories in that?

"Anything to drink?"

"No. We don't want anyone dead here now, do we?"

I wanted so bad to do the middle finger to him.

I began typing their order as fast as I possibly could. I was sick of seeing him. I was sick of talking to him.

"Did you hear about Charlotte?" my friend to work-Ella, appeared out of nowhere.

I shook my head to her question, still typing their order.

"Mr. Smith fired her. I heard that she put something in a customer's drink."

My eyes widened. I felt Noah tense from across me. I took a look at him and saw the regret washing over him in strong pained waves.

"Really? Why?" I asked her as I was staring at his green eyes, wanting to make him feel uncomfortable.

"She claimed that he was using her for his physical needs, you know?"

I laughed. I laughed so hard until my stomach refused to cooperate with me. Noah's face turned dark red while his girlfriend seemed pale.

I admired the sight. 

~~~~~~~~~

Please vote and comment❤️