Part One- Chapter 1

I woke up from slight touches on my left shoulder. My terrifying fear of ghosts refused to leave me, even at the age of seventeen, making me freak out and turn to my left quickly.

I thought my life was going to end the night before the first day of senior year, but the thought was too good to be true.

The gorgeous round eyes that I loved so much appeared in front of me but were full of panic and fear. The adorable cheeks were pale. I held my tears back but still couldn't manage to form a simple sentence from the heartbreaking sight.

"Can I sleep with you, Landler?" My seven-year-old brother asked me, deciding to break my heart even more.

"Only if you stop using this awful nickname Jacob," I smiled wildly at him.

"Please, Skylar," he begged silently.

"Of course you can," I shifted closer to the edge of my uncomfortable bed. The thin mattress wasn't big enough for the two of us, but we needed each other more than we needed our own space.

"Is it what I think it is?" I whispered to him, noticing the pure silence surrounding us in the complete darkness. His response was that same pure silence.

"You don't ever have to worry about that Jacob, I will always be here to protect my little brother."

I hated the fact that he was afraid. I despised the fact that I couldn't do anything about it even more.

"I know Skylar but-"

"No buts! I will always be here for you, Jacob. Promise me you will never forget that."

"I promise," he said, making it easier for me to breathe regularly again.

"Good, now goodnight Jacob, I love you."

"Goodnight Landler, love you too," he teased me again, earning a small slap on his shoulder and a light chuckle.

"Oh, and Skylar, Daniel and I are going to his house tomorrow after school, so please don't freak out if you can't find me at home."

"I will try not to freak out again," I rolled my eyes, loving the darkness for hiding it.

"I appreciate it," he laughed, and I found myself desiring to listen to that favorite sound of mine over and over again. Without any interruptions, loud and clear.

Unfortunately, life is made up of interruptions.

~~~~~~~~~

The first day of school was just like any other day. Waking up was a living hell, but apart from that, everything seemed normal.

Viv-my best friend, was by my side throughout the whole day, and I was thankful for it.

The school itself was not so bad, but the people studying in the school were, let's say- below average.

But it wasn't as bad for Viv as it was for me. Viv knew how to stand up for herself, unlike me who disliked fights and arguments with passion.

The first day flew by, and the thought about going back home made me anxious.

~~~~~~~~~

"Skylar, come over here right now!" he screamed from the kitchen, making me flinch immediately. I threw one of my favorite books away on my plain bed and ran towards him into the small kitchen.

He stood there, opening and closing drawers like a mad person, probably searching for food. When he felt my presence near him, he turned his head and buried me alive with his harsh glare.

"What is it?" as usual, I sounded bored. Throughout the years, I figured that it's the only way I can hide my anger and sometimes fear from him.

"Where is my damn food?" he demanded to know, his dark brown eyes growing big from anger.

"You finished your food an hour ago," but you are too drunk to even remember it.

"I didn't eat for fucking weeks!" I hated the word 'fucking' just because it was his favorite. Swearing, in general, wasn't my thing, and he was to blame.

"Just move your ass and make me something worth eating," he spat the words loudly and disrespectfully.

I grew red from anger, just like most redheads, but escaped the kitchen, running out of the house, before he could see the large effect that he really had on me.

The large effect his words had on me.

"Go make your own freaking food." I whispered to the closed house door, making sure he doesn't hear me. But when I turned around that evening, after an exhausting day at school and with my father, I saw the last person I expected to see.

Noah Adams.

Noah Adams was the most intimidating person in the whole school, if not world. With his dark black hair and amazing green eyes, he was the ultimate bad boy in high school before he disappeared.

There was something about him that screamed stay away. Not the 'look at me, I am hard to get now try to get me' stay away (which 99 percent of the bad boys use on innocent girls). The real stay away. The 'I will punch you if you get close or ask anything personal' stay away, that only he owned (and the other 1 percent).

He joined high school at sophomore year. I used to stare at him during science, until one day when he told me to stop being so creepy. Of course, I blushed furiously and ran away, but I just couldn't help it.

He was so freaking hot.

His eyes were so freaking beautiful, and he knew exactly how to use them, especially on girls, and sometimes even teachers.

And no, freaking doesn't count as swearing.

Viv told me he was in prison last year for drugs, but is going to start attending school. I refused to believe her. Intimidating people were my least favorite. And above all, I didn't see him at school today, so good for me, the rumor was just like any other rumors- not true.

My deep thoughts were suddenly interrupted by his quick change in position. He began to run. That was when I noticed his outfit and shoes. He was jogging in the first place and came over here by accident. He probably lost the way while jogging.

You can only reach a town like mine if you lose your way or search for criminals.

I thought about catching up with him, begging him to keep what he heard a secret. He ran before I had the chance to lie, the chance to even think about a proper lie.

But I knew it wouldn't help. I had the feeling that with Noah Adams, nothing would help. He would ignore me, or even worse, laugh at me for being stupid and weak.

The best support I could ever ask for.

~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed the first chapter! Promise you it's getting better😉

Please vote and comment❤️