Chapter 3

"When do I start my soccer practices, Landler?" Jacob asked me happily with chocolate all over his adorable face. We just finished eating our lunch together, and Jacob, as the biggest fan of chocolate, demanded some before mom gets back.

"This weekend, love, are you excited?"

I worked my butt off this whole summer so I could pay for his soccer practices. This boy has a talent, who am I to stop him?

Jacob nodded in response. Confused by his unusual answer, I turned around to meet with my great father. I swallowed hard, hoping he wouldn't do anything evil next to his son.

"I don't want to see you here. Go to your rooms and make sure to stay there."

I was determined once again, to show him how uninterested I was at that moment. Opening my mouth to sound anything but emotional, I suddenly remembered who was sitting next to me.

I made it a rule to never talk back to my father in front of Jacob.

Jacob was afraid of our father like I was afraid of ghosts, and believe me, I didn't want to see any fights with scary ghosts developing right next to me.

"I think someone here wants to watch a movie with me, right, Jacob?"

"That would be great," he whispered, looking up at me with much appreciation.

I hated the fact that our father affected him like that. All I want is for Jacob to be happy, not a walking mess. I want to cry every time he comes to my bed, asking if it's ok to sleep with me, asking for my safety.

He doesn't feel safe with our own father at our own house.

I wanted to teach Jacob how to be strong but didn't know when and mainly how. He is too young and innocent for the life we are living, but I am trying my best, every single day, to show him that there is some goodness in this world.

I think.

While watching that awful movie, which Jacob chose, I wondered if there would stay enough goodness in this world with Noah Adams in it.

He did touch a sensitive spot today.

No, let me phrase that again:

He did hit (hard) a very sensitive, painful spot today.

However, I had to stay strong for Jacob and my mother. And just like with my father, I had to act like his words have absolutely no meaning, and bury them in the back of my head forever.

~~~~~~~~~

"Mom?"

"Hey, dear," her voice sounded different for a weird reason.

"I was worried sick about you mom, where are you?" I almost yelled at the phone.

"Work took longer than expected, I will be back home around midnight, dear."

Mom never comes back home around midnight.

Something must be wrong, very wrong.

"What is happening, mom? Tell me exactly where you are."

"I am fine, Skylar, you have no reason at all to be worried. Just keep an eye on Jacob for me, okay?" now she sounded happy, what is wrong with this woman?

"Fine, I will keep an eye on him," just like I always do.

"Thank you, dear. I love you, don't worry too much about me ah?"

"Yeah," whatever you say.

"Good night love," she whispered calmly to the phone.

"Good night mom."

And the call ended, leaving me wondering if she is going to disappear from my life completely.

God, I hope not.

I loved my mother with my whole heart. She is working so, so hard as a nurse in the nearest hospital to hold us together. The food is never a problem, and we are all grateful for that, but many other things are.

She barely comes home anymore. We will have to find the time to talk about it. Maybe I could find a job and help with the money. I don't want to lose her, I don't want her to lose herself.

But I don't want to lose myself either.

~~~~~~~~~

"There is a party next week," Viv announced cheerfully, breaking the comfortable silence as we walked towards the exit of the school, eager to open the doors and finally breathe some fresh air and freedom.

"I am eating pasta next week," sometimes it's the best to act innocent.

"Ha, ha, very funny Sky," just not with someone who knows you too well.

"I am serious, pasta with tomato sauce, my favorite," I smiled at her.

"We are going, Sky," she glared at me.

"Never!"

"Stop behaving like a child. We should have some fun sometimes."

"We are having enough fun,"I stated.

"Yeah? Doing what exactly?"

"Let me answer that question for you. Nothing, we are doing nothing. We barely even hang-"

"I will come to the party," just because you will start asking questions as to why we are not hanging out like we used to. And I will start making up pathetic lies instead of telling you that I don't have the money to hang out with you, even though, I can't stop thinking about our favorite ice cream shop for a single second.

"Really? Oh My God! Thank you, Sky! I have the perfect dress for you, I promise you will love it!"

"Thanks, Viv."

"Anything for you, Sky," she winked at me, making both of us laugh happily.

"Oh, and Sky, before I forget, my dad finally opened his own cafe," she told me with a proud smile.

"I am happy to hear," Viv's father was an outstanding person. He dreamt about opening a cafe for years now, and I am more than happy he gets to do what he loves.

"Yeah, it's not far away from here, but he is looking for some serious help out there. I told him I can't help, you know? We don't even have enough time to breathe this year, so I thought you might know someone who needs the money and is willing to help," she offered me one of her fake smiles. However, I could see the concern she had for her father.

"Give me his number. I will see how I can help."

Still thinking about the conversation I had with my mom the day before, she gave me the number. I could use some money, but working with Viv's father was a risk I couldn't take.

When we were finally outside the boring-looking building called High School, we both turned our heads immediately, searching for the unknown sounds with our curious eyes.

Watching that horrible scene in front of me, I found myself wondering once again if there would stay any goodness in this world with Noah Adams in it. 

~~~~~~~~~

Please vote and comment❤️