Chapter 22- Crash and Burn

Start from the beginning

The parking lot was almost empty and nobody was to be seen in a mile's radius.

"That's actually hot, the youngest teacher in our school is the head of the chemistry department," Niti said with dreamy eyes, playing with her hair. "Must be nice to be smart and hot at the same time."

"It is. Everything is only for you," Tanner replies back and Niti squealed.

"You guys are too cute," Zoe sighed deeply and I nodded in agreement.

"Okay gotta go, my parents expect me to get home in half hour. See you guys tomorrow, yeah?" Niti stayed and we all said our byes and she left the parking lot leaving Kol, Zoe, Travis, and I.

"We should get going too if we want to keep you hidden from my parents, Kol. They're going to be home soon," I whispered only to him so Zoe and Travis couldn't hear and he nodded.

As he started walking to the passenger seat, Travis called out behind him. "Wait Kol, where are you going? I thought we were going to the practice together and then meeting the boys at the diner."

Kol stopped abruptly in his steps and looked back at Travis. "You're right, I'm so sorry bro."

Then, he slowly turned to me with an apologetic smile and I understood what it meant. "It's fine, you go."

He walks up to the window and takes my hand in his. "I am so sorry, I forgot about it completely."

"It's okay," I smiled back, understandingly.

He frowned. "Are you mad at me?"

I shake my head in disagreement. "I could never, Kol."

"I promise I'll come back home before ten," he whispered and kissed the back of my hand.

"Can you text you when you come home? I'll need to make sure that mom and dad are asleep," I whispered back and he nodded.

"I'll call you when I leave the diner," he murmured and I nodded in agreement.

"What are you lovebirds whispering about?" Travis shouted out loud, startling me and the peace and quiet.

Kol and I turned to look at them and found Zoe wiggling her brows and Travis had a stupid grin on his face. "Shut up, I'm coming."

"I can go with you, Dovie," Zoe offered.

"It's okay, i think I should handle mom and dad on my own. They might be furious at me for something that I don't even know I did," I rolled my eyes at the thought of my parents.

I have tried so hard to be the best daughter for them. So hard, but it's never enough for them. I am the valedictorian of my class. I am the student body president. I am the president of many other clubs. I am a good child, I don't drink or do drugs or throw myself at random boys.

But nothing is ever enough for them.

That's when I realized that nothing I do will ever satisfy them. So, I stopped trying.

I stopped trying to make them happy. Rather I started living for myself and making myself happy.

"Don't say that," Kol frowned.

I shrugged. "It's all true though."

"I love you Dovie," Zoe yelled.

I smiled. "I love you too."

"I need to know why we dislike Dove's parents," Kol wondered.

"Ask Travis. He knows everything and it should make you understand a gist of what my parents are like," I replied back, taking my hand back, ready to leave.

"Come on, we'll tell you on the way," Travis called Kol.

Kol turned to look at me one final time and sighed deeply. "I don't want to let you go alone."

"I'll be fine," I smiled.

The fact that he cares for me melts my heart.

"Are you sure? I can skip the practice and going to the diner," he asked once again.

"Go before I change my mind," I pushed him to go.

He pecked my lips softly as a goodbye kiss. Reluctantly, he walked away and sat in Travis' car. "Bye Dovie, see you tomorrow."

"Bye guys," I waved at them as Travis drove away.

I sighed deeply, rolling the windows back up. Pressing on the gas, i left the parking lot and went straight on the highway.

Something felt off.

I didn't know what but something definitely felt off about driving the car. I pushed back the negative thoughts about seeing mom and dad again.

My eyes fell on the speedometer and realized that I was going five miles over. Quickly, I tried to press on the brake before I got pulled over.

Shocking enough, nothing happened.

I pressed on the brake once again but the car didn't slow down. I quickly took my foot off the gas and the brake but the car kept going on the same speed, not one up or down.

I was terrified.

I decided to switch lanes and go to the farthest right to take the exit and kept pressing my foot on brake but it would not stop.

My breathing started getting heavy as I tried to keep switching the lanes so I didn't crash into another car. Many honked but I couldn't stop or respond in any way.

I tried searching for my phone to call someone. To cal Kol. But my phone fell down the passenger seat and I couldn't reach it while going sixty miles per hour.

The traffic light before me turned red but I couldn't stop so I honked at the cars that pressed their accelerator. Some cars honked back at me loudly for being disrespectful and putting their and my life in danger but I couldn't stop.

I could feel tears brewing in my eyes as I remembered the guy who was toying my car in the parking lot during lunch. He must have done something to the brakes.

Suddenly, I turn and get on a one way road with forest surrounding me. There were no cars in front of me so i was safe.

I kept pressing on the brake, trying to make it work but it wouldn't.

Oh God, I'm going to die.

I can't. I'm way too young to die.

Please I need help.

Suddenly, I realized that I entered the road where the speed limit was thirty and I was going double the speed.

I found little kids and a teenager crossing the road and I honked at them, trying to get them off the road but they stopped.

What the hell!

Move!

Move out of the way!

As I got closer and closer to them, I realized that they were going to move.

I was so close to hitting the kids when I turned my steering wheel and crashed into the nearby tree causing a big impact.

Something hit my head really hard and I was in pain. I tried to keep my eyes open but I couldn't for too long. There was smoke everywhere and I couldn't move at all.

There was blood running down my head and hand. Everything looked foggy. There was a strong smell coming out of the car. Most likely it was gas and I could hear liquid dripping slowly in the dead quiet.

I found the teenager walking towards my car before I completely passed out.

_______

I am extremely sorry guys for the super late update. So much has been going on that I don't even know where to start.

I hope everyone is safe from Covid. Please take care of yourselves and your family in this time of the pandemic.

I love you guys so much!