38

Her ribs had begun to heal, but large bruises had formed. She was sure that one of her ribs were broken too. But their was not much she could do, other than wrap her arms around them for some warmth. Fortunately he had forgotten to tie her up again, allowing her a little freedom.

The candle had long died out days ago. The cats corpse had begun to decay, leaving an unpleasant smell in the air.

Why couldn't death claim her already? She knew it wasn't long until that happened, as she was significantly malnourished and her entire body was covered in injuries.

She hated to admit that she cried, cried until there was no tears left. What had her life become? From reading stories, to becoming stuck in one herself. If only her mother hadn't become ill, then none of this would have happened. But life had other plans.

Her head rested on the floor, closing her eyes trying to drift off to sleep. But she couldn't, her sleep wake cycle had become imbalanced. The lack of knowledge of day and night didn't help much either.

The click of a lock caught her attention, steps creaking by his weight.

"Honey I'm home."

Her eyes remained shut.

"I have always wanted to say that, but there's never anyone home for me to greet until now."

"Don't you have a family?" She managed to whisper.

"I did, but I killed them all."

A shiver travelled down her spine, she didn't question why, knowing she wouldn't like the answer.

"Why does it smell so bad in here?" He questioned.

He noticed the corpse of the cat in the corner. Scooping it up with both hands.

"Perhaps I should throw this away."

"Please bury it." She whispered.

"And why would I want to waste my energy on such a thing? It would be less of a hassle just to throw it away."

"Allow me to bury it then, please." She said looking at him. Her throat hurt with ever word she said. But it was her fault that the cat was dead. The least she could do was give it a proper burial.

"Hmmmm...perhaps you should beg a little more and I may consider it." He said smirking.

"I beg of you, let me bury her."

---------------***---------------

Blisters covers her hands as she looks down at the small grave she had made. She had to use her hands to dig, as there were no gardening tools. She had clawed at the soil, giving herself numerous blisters and cuts, even a broken nail. But at least the cat could rest in peace.

"Are you done? Or should I bury you along with it?" She hadn't noticed he had crept up on to her.

They were in his back yard. He clearly wasn't keen on gardening, as there wasn't a living plant in site. Only a dead tree stood by itself.

"Loving the view?" He asked.

It had been so long since she had last breathed fresh air, and looked at the open sky. It was night, but she could still make things out as silver rays of moonlight shone down upon them. The stars were tiny sparkles scattered across the sky. Making the sky even more beautiful.

"I'd advise you to get some rest, tomorrow is going to be a long day."

"What's tomorrow?"

"You shall see when the time comes." He said smirking.

---------------***---------------

Her arms were tied behind her back, her legs were tied together and her eyes were blindfolded.

The journey was a very bumpy, suggesting she was in a carriage.

She was sure she had been drugged, as she hadn't had such a deep sleep in so long.

The carriage came to an abrupt stop. She heard the door swing open.

"I see that you're awake." She heard his voice say.

He ripped her blind fold off, her surroundings weren't familiar.

He lifted her up in his arms, she had no strength to struggle, and even if she did, she was sure that it would not make much difference.

"Where are you taking me?" She asked.

"This is where we part ways, but do not worry you'll see me again." He said winking.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm selling you off, I'm a little short on money you see, and I'm sure you will go for a good price, after all you are a beauty just like your dear mother. Perhaps you may even face the same path your mother had the honour of going down."

"What!?" She screamed, but it barely came out as a whisper.

"Well I do believe your mother was a prostitute, correct me if I'm wrong."

"She was not a prostitute, they made her do it."

"Really?"

She had little effort to explain to someone who will just mock her.

Many years ago, before she was even born, her mother was kidnapped by a wealthy family and provide to the government as some sort of business, as the government couldn't get their hands dirty in such acts and people would begin a rebellion if they were ever found out. These women were then provided to the men in the army to relieve their sexual tension. After all in the eyes of the country they were glorious soldiers who sacrificed everything in the name of their nation. And what better way to reward them, women seemed to be the best option. Especially since women held little value in the eyes of society, whilst the men in the army were achieving glory, what were women doing? Clearly nothing in the eyes of the government and that seemed to give them the right to take them and put them to what they deemed as appropriate use.

"Answer me." He demanded.

"They made her do it."

"Who are you referring to as 'they'? Perhaps the government or the Jeon family?" He said with a smirk.