36

"What a lovely coincidence." The masked man said grinning.

Her heart raced in her chest, anxiety levels dramatically increased. How did he know her address? How had he gotten inside?

"W-what are you d-doing here?" She questioned.

"Well you didn't exactly answer my question."

"Let go of me." She said, glaring daggers at him.

"How can I guarantee that you won't run away?"

"I don't exactly have anywhere else to go." She said.

"I guess that's true, but if you do get any ideas, may I remind you, your mother will suffer the consequences." He said, letting her go.

"Aren't you going to offer me a cup of tea, you are being awefully rude." He said, sitting in an unoccupied chair, cocking his head to one side.

"I do believe it is rude to enter ones house uninvited." She replied.

"I'd watch your tongue if I were you. You've already caused me enough trouble, you almost got one of my men imprisoned." He warned.

"Unfortunately I don't have any tea, I forgot to go buy some. I don't understand, are you perhaps referring to the man that chased me from the library?" She asked.

He clicks his tongue in annoyance.

"Congratulations for finally figuring something out."

"Why are you here?"

"Isn't it obvious?" He leaned his chin into his hands.

She knew he wanted a response to his earlier proposal, but she couldn't bring herself to give an answer.

"Would you like me to choose for you?" He asked.

"Isn't there another option?"

"Hmmmm...perhaps, but it depends if it's fun." He said tapping his foot impatiently.

"I don't understand why you must find it fun?"

"I do need some entertainment after all." He grinned.

"Then why don't you go watch a play at the theatre?" She said.

"That's all an act, I prefer the real deal."

She looks at him confused.

"But if it makes you feel any better, I've decided to change the condition."

"To what?"

"How about you exchange yourself for the safety of your mother."

"That's ridiculous, what possible value could I have?"

"It would spoil the fun if I revealed my intentions."

"Fun, fun, fun, that's all that seems to matter. There are so many other ways in having fun, why must it be this way?"

In seconds she was pinned to the wall, his hands wrapped around her neck, choking her.

"Watching others suffer is fun, especially you, its so satisfying seeing you squirm under my grasp. It's adorable how you try and fight back."

Her nails scratched at his hand, trying to make him let go.

He smirks, before letting go, causing her to collapse to the ground coughing, forcing air in and out of her body to try and regain the lack of oxygen.

"I can't have you fainting on me, after all I do need an answer, and I'm becoming rather impatient."

"I just do not see the point, I have no value, no wealth, no status, nothing that could benefit you in anyway." She said breathing heavily.

"Are you trying to tempt me to change my mind?" He asked. "Because I could always make the condition much worse."

She didn't reply, this guy was clearly insane, he may have even escaped an insane asylum for all she knew.

"How long do I have to decide?" She asked, hoping he would give her some time.

"Now, unless you want your mother to be missing a few limbs or two. Organs go for a good price at the black market these days."

Her heart hammered in her chest, was he planning on selling her and her mother at the black market?

"How can I guarantee that you'd keep your end of the promise?"

"I am a man of my word." He said, with a deadly smile plastered across his face.

"If I agree to this, my mother will be fine, no harm would come to her in anyway?"

"Of course."

"You'll safely return her to the hospital where she originally was."

"Yes."

She was in checkmate, she had no other ways to turn to.

"I will agree on one condition."

"Which is?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I get to say goodbye."

---------------***---------------

She starred at her mum's frail body, she couldn't believe it, her mum was there, right in front of her. Alive and well.

She didn't know where they were, the masked man had blind folded her to bring her here. The surroundings were unfamiliar. The place was dark and dusty, cobwebs hung from the ceiling the windows were bordered up, letting very little light slip through the cracks.

Her body trembled as she walk towards her mother, was she really alright?

"Hurry up will you, I haven't got all day." He said in frustration.

"Does she know what she's doing here?"

"I kept her under some drugs so she has no clue." He said grinning.

"So she won't wake up?"

"She's drugged, but she fine and alive, hurry up and say goodbye before I change my mind."

"Could I speak to her in some privacy please?"

"You have two minutes." He said, rolling his eyes and went and stood outside.

She cautiously walked up to her mother, and sat on the side of her rickety bed.

"I d-don't know where to begin..." Her eyes became watery, as a year slipped down her cheek.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be a better daughter, I'm sorry my efforts weren't good enough, I'm sorry you had to go through this. I'm so sorry mum." She wept, she tried to force the tears back, but she couldn't.

She held her mother's pale hand. Trying to gain some form of comfort.

"You have 1 minute!" He yelled from outside the door.

"I'm sorry I can't be be there for you anymore, I promise you'll be safe now, I have to go, I don't know if I'll ever see you again. But I love you." Her heart ached in her chest, she gave her mother a soft kiss on the cheek before walking away.