8. Home Sweet Home

Start from the beginning

"Do I look that bad?" Remus said with a sad smile, lips curving upwards as he listened to me intently.

"Like hell" I nodded "Now, can I get you something to drink? Butterbeer? Coffee? Tea?..." I looked at his battered appearance "...or maybe something stronger? Whiskey? Scotch?"

"It's...12:30 a.m" Remus said with a look at the clock hanging on the wall behind me.

"Well somewhere the sun is setting" I said with a shrug "It just looks like you could use a drink..."

Again that dry, amused chuckle, and then he nodded.

"Sure. Why not? After the day I just had...." he said with a shrug as he rolled his eyes.

I conjured a bottle of Fire Whiskey and filled two glasses with a measured amount of the amber liquid. Then I headed to the table, put down the bottle and passed Remus his glass.

"Want to talk about it?" I said after a brief silence where we both sipped our drinks.

Remus stiffened, before relaxing back into the chair, looking at me curiously.

"I'm not sure I should talk to anyone about my current....asignment" he said finally.

I hummed in agreement.

"Well Remus, to me it looks like we're in the same boat. In fact, I'm betting our assignments are very much alike" I said carefully, looking at Remus over the edge of my glass.

Again that fleeting look of shock and suprise. It was gone before I could be sure I really saw it, replaced by mild curiosity.

"Nymphadora wasn't very forthcoming with details about your little trip" he said cautiously as he finished his glass, reaching for the bottle abd pouring himself another one.

"That's because, jut like with your assingment, it's important to keep things low profile" I explained "But I have the feeling that right now we could both use someone to talk to about our...assignments"

A hum in agreement was all the answer I got.

I decided to push things a bit.

"So, I take it your approach of the Werewolf community didn't go all that well?" I said quietly.

Remus nearly chocked on his mouthfull of Whiskey, spluttering as he looked at me wide-eyed.

"How-what...?" He brought out as he carefully put down his glass.

"Like I said. Similar assignments. I was sent to the Druids... you seemed like the logical choice to send to the werewolves" I said with a shrug, swirling the amber liquid around in my glass.

Remus blinked.

"Druids...?" He finally managed.

Nodding I quirked an eyebrow questioningly at the tired werewolf.

"You tell me what happened to you, and I'll tell you what happened on the trip Tonks and I took to Ireland" I said decisively.

He sighed.

"The Werewolves are a dead end. Most are too scared to join forces with us in fear of Voldemorts retribution, and the others are angry and resented towards the wizzarding community, choosing to ally themselves with the Dark Lord instead" Remus said, a hard edge to his voice as he looked at the wooden surface of the table in front of him.

"Damn" I cursed under my breath.

"I nearly got pinched when I tried to locate that last froup of Werewolves. Turns out Death Eaters are also trying to rally support" he told me, eyes darkening in anger "I barely got away"