Us Gays Have To Stick Together

Start from the beginning

"I think," Lance chokes out, voice cracking embarrassingly. "I think I like Keith."

The hand on his neck freezes, and Lance's feels fear sink into his stomach. Then Shiro starts rubbing his thumb over his skin and a warm chuckle leaves his lips. "Really now?"

Lance groans even more, heart beating a mile a minute. "I know it's weird! He just suddenly came back, all tall and grizzled, and cool, and he's just so hot, okay?! I can't help it!"

"Oh wow, okay," Shiro says and barks out a laugh.

"Oh god, he's basically your baby brother! What am I saying!" Lance whines, sinking further forward to hide his burning face in his hands. "I'm so disgusting!"

"Hey now, I don't want to hear that!" Shiro exclaims. "Look at me," he says, voice back to its soothing tone.

Lance reluctantly lets him peel away the hands from his face.

"There you go," Shiro says with a wide smile, and Lance can't help the small sob escaping his lips.

"Lance, there's nothing disgusting about your feelings," Shiro says, cradling Lance's cheek in his hand. His eyes melt into a soft expression when Lance can't stop the tears from rolling down his cheeks. Shiro is there to wipe them away though.

"Really?" Lance says, hiccuping as he rubs his other cheek with his forearm.

"Really," Shiro says. "You're still young. You have so much time to figure these things out. Even though," Shiro pauses, a wide mischievous smirk spreading on his lips, "I suspected you might have a crush on Keith for a while now."

"What ?" Lance looks at him, eyebrows furrowed. "How can you know it, when I didn't even know myself?"

Shiro laughs. "Well, when I was your age I was also quite confused when I met Adam, but everyone around me knew what was going on even before I did."

"Who?"

"Oh, Adam my ex-boyfriend."

Lance lifts his head, tears stopping immediately.

"Your what now."

The grin on Shiro's face gets even wider.

"Well, actually we were gonna get married before I left for Kerberos. So, he was my fiancé I guess."

"Gonna what now?" Lance asks, completely dumbfounded and his expression must be as stupid as he feels because Shiro throws his head back and laughs.

"You had a boyfriend ?" Lance asks again because he just can't believe what's happening right now.

"Yeah, we were flight partners," Shiro says, a knowing grin in place. "We were rivals back in school, but it slowly grew into something else."

"Huh," Lance makes, slumping back in his seat. "You had a boyfriend."

"Yeah, we established that," Shiro laughs. "Look. What I was trying to say is: you have time to figure things out, but," he pauses, turning his head to look out at the stars. "don't hesitate if you know what you want."

Lance knows there's more to this story. He can see it in Shiro's eyes, looking at the stars with a longing that leaves Lance's heart aching.

"Lance do you copy." Keith's voice crackles through the coms, ripping both of them out of their thoughts.

"Yeah! Yeah, what is it?" Lance stutters, completely aware of Shiro's eyes on him which makes his face heat up again.

"Coran said we're reaching a planet soon. He wants us to get down there and get some supplies."

"Oh- Okay."

"The planet's quite big, so we're gonna have to split up," Keith explains further, and suddenly Lance feels a nudge to his side.

"Ouch, what-," Lance starts, but when he looks up at Shiro and sees him wiggling his eyebrows, tilting his head to the com in an encouraging way, Lance's heart stumbles in his chest.

"Ummm, Keith?" Lance starts, and he can hear his own voice too loud in his ears. His heart is beating a mile per minute.

"Yeah?"

"Do you ... want to team up with me?" Lance asks, heart almost lurching out of his mouth. "I mean! We didn't have any time to catch up! You -You don't have to if you don't want to! You can go with your mom! I mean you haven't seen her for an even longer time and - "

"Lance," Keith interrupts him, and Lance's mouth shuts with a snap. "I'd love to go with you."

"Re- Really?"

"Yeah," Keith answers, and Lance can hear amusement in his voice.

"Okay! Great! Good! I ummm ... see you in a few ticks?" Lance asks, voice squeaky and unsteady.

Keith chuckles. "Alright. See you soon."

The coms go dead and so does Lance as he presses his face to his knees with a loud whine.

"I'm proud of you, kiddo," Shiro chuckles as he pats Lance's back.

"Say that after I actually survive this," Lance groans which only earns him more laughter.

"You can't die yet, Lance," Shiro says. "After all you have to tell me everything about it."

"You want to know?" Lance asks, parting his fingers to look up at Shiro.

"Of course! Us gays have to stick together."

"Oh my god . Shiro, I love you," Lance says, laughing as he leans back. "I'm glad you're back," he adds, and his heart is ready to spill over with affection for this amazing man.

Shiro's eyes melt into a soft expression.

"It's good to be back."