5. peony

"Can you read?" The Duke grumbled watching as I looked over the papers he had given me.

Rude :/

I can read I'm just going extra slow because the font on this is tiny.

This girl does not have 20/20 vision <3

"Of course I can," I smiled innocently.

I'm underprivileged but I was still a member of the royal family.

The Duke frowned, passing me ink.

Right I have to sign my life away xoxo

I reached for it, leaning down to sign my name.

I feel bad for Petra and Kuchel. They spent so long trying to doll me up just so I could sit in a dusty room and sign papers.

"What are you doing?" The Duke frowned.

Are you an idiot?

"Signing?"

"You're not going to add your own terms?" He asked, rolling his eyes slightly.

I GET TO ADD MY OWN TERMS??

Who's the idiot again?

That's a secret.

"Terms?" I murmured.

I know I deserve rights but suddenly I can't think of anything.

Like making a Christmas list.

Problematic.

"It can't only be favorable to one party," he paused. "Unless you want it to be that way?"

"Sorry I'm just having trouble thinking of anything."

I didn't really come into this with any goal other than surviving.

"You're free to waste your time. However, if we don't sign this by today consider the whole arrangement off." He stood up wandering to the window.

He's really strict sometimes.

He really does have everything. I could probably ask him to do anything for me using this contract.

Nothing that I couldn't get by being his wife.

I watched as he ran his hands over the windowsill, frowning at the dust.

He didn't ask for much- he really is considerate in some ways.

I glanced back down at the piece of paper.

Don't become clingy? Is that really one of his concerns?

"I think I know what I want now," I broke the silence.

"Then?"

"Only three things," I paused. "First, no abuse, physical, verbal, sexual, etc."

"My fiancé thinks I would do such a thing?"

"It's just for safety." I brushed him off.

"... The second?"

"Second, once we get married don't ignore or neglect me. If I'm going to pretend to be your wife I'll need to at least know you a little better."

He doesn't seem upset by any of this.

"I will try."

His expression rarely changes it's unnerving.

"Third, at any point if this arrangement becomes uncomfortable for either party the contract will become null and we will go our respective ways. However, I hope you will continue to look after me and at the very least provide a place for me to stay."