A Terrifying Prospect

He didn't move for ages. In fact, he feel asleep like that. He cried himself to sleep. Bawling his eyes out.

《~》

She woke up and immediately noticed Link, who was lying on top of her.
She was on the floor. Her head was on Link's legs, and his head was on her stomach.

Then, she remembered. It was so clear, so incredibly, painfully clear. It was almost unbearable. A scream nearly slipped from her lips, but she held it back.

She sat up and shoved Link away. She stood up and looked around. The hair piece was lying on the ground in front of her. She picked it up. It was only half of it. The half she had used to stab Link.

It had dried blood on it. There was blood on her fingers. She looked back at Link. Blood on his arm. Blood on the floor.

She couldn't bear to look any longer, so she jerked her head away. She had to do something.

She held the silver shard of the hair piece up. She turned it a little, and the morning light reflected off it. It illuminated the dark red of the blood.

She looked back at Link.
This was her fault.

There were tear streaks on his cheeks. Barely visible, now that they had dried up. But they shone slightly in the light.

This was her fault. She made him cry. She made him hurt. She did this to him.

She dropped her arm. Dropped the silver piece. Closed her eyes.

A single tear made its way down her cheek. Slowly.
She had to do something. But what? There was no way to fix this. She couldn't very well use her powers on herself.
There was nothing to fight for there. She was a terrible, terrible person. Especially to Link. Mostly to Link.

She couldn't do anything. He couldn't do anything. The only thing they could do was... to kill her.

She slipped her arms around her torso and gripped her arms.

She heard a voice behind her.
"Zelda? Are you okay?"
He said it so gently. Yet it sounded so harsh. His voice was so raspy. It sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard.

She whispered her reply.
"I'm fine. You don't need to worry about me. There's no use."

"That was a rhetorical question. Of course you aren't okay."
He stood up and gently put his hands on her shoulders. She shook them off. She didn't want him to touch her. What if she freaked out at him? What if she hurt him?

"Zelda, it's okay. Everything is okay."
"Liar." She was so mean to him. Why? Why couldn't she keep herself from being rude?
"Please, Zelda. I..."

He paused for a long while.

Finally, he spoke again. "Please."
"Why?"

"I.... I l..."
He couldn't seem to get it out.
"I lo.... I don't want to see you hurt. I don't want you to be sad. So please... just... let me help you."
He put his hands on her shoulders again. He wrapped his arms around her.

She turned her head. Their faces were awfully close.
His eyes were full of worry and concern.

She sighed and melted into his arms. She turned a little and put a hand in his shoulder.

He rested his forehead on the top of her head. She looked up. Their noses were touching.

She put her other hand on his waist. He leaned forward a little. She knew what he was doing. And she let him do it.

He kissed her.

She slid her arms around him, holding him tight.
She might not get a chance like this again. So she soaked it in, trying to enjoy every second of it.
It was blissful, and she almost forgot about her problems. Almost. Almost.

《~》

Her face was wet with tears.
This felt wrong, yet so, so right.
Like... this was supposed to happen. But it was at the wrong time.

But he had to distract her somehow.
And he did want to do this.

He hadn't been able to tell her how he felt, so why not show her?
But something didn't feel right.

He pulled away. Her eyes were full of tears. It wasn't right. That was wrong. It didn't help her. Something was wrong.

Why did he feel so tense? So afraid?

Now would be the perfect time for the evil and darkness to control her.
He looked at her eyes. They were normal. He stared into them. He only saw sadness.

He felt tears coming to his eyes.

He stepped back. Something still felt wrong. Something still wasn't right.

He had to leave. So he did. He backed up to the door and opened it, looking at her eyes the whole time.
He left the room and shut the door.

Something still felt off.

《~》

She saw the panic in his eyes as he left. She noticed how he didn't look away from her eyes, not once.

Then, the realization hit her.
He didn't trust her anymore.

Somehow, that was worse than her hurting him or anything else that was happening.

He was afraid of her.
He was afraid. And it was her fault. She did this to him.

It hurt her.

Tears cascaded down her face as she stumbled back onto the bed.
She shut her eyes tight as she fell onto it. She couldn't bear to think about this anymore.

The longer this all went on, the more she just wanted to make it end herself. She wanted him to kill her. She wanted to make him kill her, to give him the satisfaction of winning once more.

And at this point, there was no other choice.
One of them would inevitably end up killing the other. And she wouldn't let that be herself.