Moon.

She could feel it. The blood moon. She had felt it all day.
There was a feeling, and it had been growing stronger as the day progressed. She didn't like it.

She kept herself from looking at Link. She didn't want to hurt him. When they got to the stable, she requested a second room, which she immediately locked herself in.

Eventually, night came around. Her head pounded. Then...

Surrender.
What?
Surrender. It will make everything much easier.
What do you mean? What are you? Where are you?
That doesn't matter. All that matters is what you choose. Do you want to do this the hard way or the easy way?
What do you mean? Tell me!
Surrender or you be forced to.
Surrender to who?
To whom.
You didn't answer my question.
Surrender to yourself.
What do you mean?
I am you. The part that you should listen to. Others will tell you lies, but I can tell you the truth. I will tell you what Link really thinks about you.
What? What does he think?
Aha. Got you there.
Tell me!
First you need to surrender.
No! I just want to know what Link thinks!
You'd need to surrender first.
I'd rather not know what he feels and be free than know what he feels but not be free.
You would be free, though.
That's not true.
Hmmm... It sounds like I'll have to take this into my own hands.

Zelda was lifted up, and the darkness that was wrapped around her grew tighter.

Now do you want to join us?
No!

She tried to shake her head, but the darkness was controlling her body.
It held her tighter.

Are you sure?
Yes! Yes, I'm sure!

The tendrils of darkness wrapped tighter, and Zelda saw her hair floating around her head.

I can tell you anything!
No!

It held her tighter and she screamed. It wasn't a cry for help or a cry of pain, just a scream. It was too much.
There was a creak and the door opened slowly. Her head turned towards it and she saw that Link was standing there. He looked shocked.

Ooh.

Her body slowly landed on the ground and it walked closer. Link didn't move. Her hand reached out and grabbed his hand, pulling him into the room.
"Zelda?"

She tried to respond, but it came out as a growl, which only scared him more. She reached out, but the darkness took control again and grabbed at his throat. It successfully got hold of it, but not for long. Link moved over a bit, but her hand quickly found his neck again and held it tight. He threw his hands up to try and take her hands away, but the grip was too strong. She pushed him down onto the ground and put a foot on him to prevent him from getting up. What should she do to him?

He spoke again, and she snapped out of it for a split second before the darkness pulled her back in. She put more weight on the foot that held Link down. He shakily took a knife out of his pocket and held it out, looking away. He obviously didn't want to hurt her. She took advantage of it and grabbed the knife, pointing it back confidently. He looked back, suprised and terrified. She took her foot off of him and he stood up, shaken. She pointed the knife at him again, this time closer to his neck. He put his hands up in front of the knife and slowly backed away, too afraid to do anything more.

"Zelda... what's going on?"
She wanted to answer.
The blood moon! It's strengthening the darkness!
She couldn't answer. She was physically unable to speak, or act on her own at all. It felt like she was drowning.
"Zelda, please, please don't do anything to me."

She just stepped forwards again, making Link back into a wall. She took another step, and he slid down a little and turned his head away, holding his hands out more.
"Please! Stop! Whatever is controlling Zelda, please! You're scaring me!"
Link begged and pleaded, but the darkness didn't move, say, or even think anything.

Then, Link began to cry. Zelda hadn't ever really seen him cry, at least not in a scared way.

Oh no...
He's terrified...
I scared him...
I feel terrible...
I did this...
I did it. It was me.
I should get what I deserve.

A tear ran down Zelda's face. She didn't move. She still held the knife out, pointing at Link. She moved closer, until the knife touched his throat. She took it away, but immediately slashed Link's arm. He yelled a little in suprise and held his arm where it was cut.

Zelda smiled. She walked over to the desk and put the knife down. She picked up the silver hair piece that Link had bought her. She turned towards Link, and looking him straight in the eyes, she snapped the accessory in half. She threw one of the pieces on the ground and stepped on it while walking back to Link.

She held the remaining piece out at him, the sharp, broken part out. The rough edge dug into her fingers, and it hurt. She wanted to let go, but she couldn't.
She pulled her arm back and adjusted the piece in her hand, tears forming in her eyes. If only she could resist...

She readied the makeshift weapon, then stabbed. She missed the target, though, and the blade hit Link's arm instead of his chest.

When she saw his face, she was flooded with guilt. She collapsed to the ground, the last of her energy spent, and the darkness subsiding. It used a lot of energy, and it took a lot of energy to fight it. Not that she had any luck with that.

She looked at Link once more as his shocked face came in and out of focus. She couldn't bear to look at him any longer. She lowered her head and the world around her went black.

《~》

He was too shaken to feel the pain. It was all a blur.

It was terrifying. She hadn't done anything of this scale before. Well, she wasn't really the right word. Zelda wasn't controlling her actions, something else was.

He knew exactly what it was. He just didn't want to accept it. He couldn't accept it.

He couldn't even think about it. The image of Zelda crying as she went to kill him filled his mind, torturing him. She couldn't control herself. But she knew exactly what she was doing. And that killed him. She- or, it, rather- didn't even have to use a weapon or even hurt him. It just had to hurt her. That was enough.

He shakily reached out and laid a hand on her head. Her hair was spread out of the ground. He gently brushed it out of her reddened face.

He adjusted himself so he was sitting on his knees, and he pulled Zelda over so her head was in his lap. He held her head close and let his tears fall.

There was nothing he could do to stop this. Nothing.
This was just something that would happen. It would happen until she successfully killed him. Until she couldn't control herself any longer. Until... until it spread further. No. There wasn't even an until. It just wouldn't end.

He might have to kill her. It might come to that. To save himself. To save everyone. He might not have a choice.

He lowered his head until it was resting on hers. And he cried. His buried his face into her hair and sobbed.